Re: [spam] Re: [sig] Translation inquiry - part II

  • John-Joseph Bober
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
      goldschp@... wrote:

      >>b) I actually have a Cyrillic-like script, and that's not what I'm
      >>looking for. I am looking for English text translated into Russian, and
      >>into the Cyrillic alphabet. I know that the alphabet was changed some
      >>by Stalin (I believe), so if the old letters, and not the new, could be
      >>used that'd be fantastic.
      >>

      >Lenin, actually. He eliminated several letters and standardized several spellings. But I'm not sure I understand the point of going back to 19th century Russian. Is that a compromise because OCS (Old Church Slavonic, i.e., period Russian) would be too difficult? I mean, one could translate your text into 21st century Russian and transliterate the modern Cyrillic to 19th century Cyrillic letters, but it would still be modern Russian. But it might be easier to write it in 19th century Court Russian (there are plenty of good examples of Royal grants, decrees, etc.) from the Tsarist days. But it would be "forsooth" speak -- like Victorian medieval talk.

      Ahhhhh...now I understand. The guy who did this for me before
      translated into Russian, not OCS. He was an émigré - still had his
      communist ID, etc. - and didn't know OCS.

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
        Greetings!

        > Wow...thanks for all of the responses. To clarify some....
        > a) this isn't firm yet. I need to check on one or two things first,
        > but I wanted to know if I had a resource out there who could help
        > b) I actually have a Cyrillic-like script, and that's not what I'm
        > looking for. I am looking for English text translated into Russian, and
        > into the Cyrillic alphabet. I know that the alphabet was changed some
        > by Stalin (I believe), so if the old letters, and not the new, could be
        Not much like this, I'm afraid. By early 1900s there were too many odd letters in Russian, that referred to spelling norms of middle ages. There was simply no reason except traditions to write "i" through latinic-like i or through typically Russian i (same thing in Ukrainian, but they write latinic-like i for i-sound, and Russian-like i for y-sound, Russian pronunciation lacks that reason), or "e" using e or the now extinct "er", - thus they drew a language reform, it was ready by 1916, and - ! - only because the WWI and the revolution postponed such stuff for years, the reform was usually understood as "one of those Bolshevik novelties". But nothing of the kind, Russian simply contained too many letters that belonged to sounds long extinct. It is the same as to spill tears for absence of AE letter, that was typical to Old English.

        > used that'd be fantastic. I also realize that some things won't
        > translate, so that will have to be transliterated (ouch! that can't be
        > a word).
        > c) The text may get long, though I'm generally not one of those 400
        > word scribes. Assuming everything checks out, I'd need the Cyrillic
        > text by the end of October, beginning of November to do what I need to.

        I must have missed something... WHAT is the text you need to translate?

        Bye,
        Alex