Re: [spam] [sig] beadwork

  • John-Joseph Bober
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
      Rachel Sampsel wrote:

      >I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into a problem of the beads
      >forming a crinkly line rather than a straight one after I stitch a string
      >of them down. Is there a way around this? I've tried loosening my
      >stitches but they beads don't stay in position that way either - they just
      >sort of dangle like they ill applied.
      >
      >Help?
      >
      >Patches

      Actually, I've had similar issues couching gold thread to fabric. I've
      found that in my case it was because I was pulling the fabric (ground)
      too tightly while doing the couching. Loosen your ground fabric, and
      they should lay better.

      Jan
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
        Hi,
        are you couching down in between each bead?
        regards,
        Baroness Anastasia

        --- John-Joseph Bober <jjbober4@...> wrote:

        > Rachel Sampsel wrote:
        >
        > >I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into
        > a problem of the beads
        > >forming a crinkly line rather than a straight one
        > after I stitch a string
        > >of them down. Is there a way around this? I've
        > tried loosening my
        > >stitches but they beads don't stay in position that
        > way either - they just
        > >sort of dangle like they ill applied.
        > >
        > >Help?
        > >
        > >Patches
        > >

        > Actually, I've had similar issues couching gold
        > thread to fabric. I've
        > found that in my case it was because I was pulling
        > the fabric (ground)
        > too tightly while doing the couching. Loosen your
        > ground fabric, and
        > they should lay better.
        >
        > Jan

      • Kimberly A. Wajer-Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
          Quoting Rachel Sampsel <raelee@...>:

          > I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into a problem

          In my experience there are a few things you can do to help.
          1. It may or may not be period (I don't know), but it is effective: string the
          beads on a fine wire rather than a thread before couching.
          2. Do not use an embroidery hoop or frame. Let the fabric lie limp when
          couching. Problems most often occur when the ground fabric is too tight, then
          when it is released, the couching sags. When the ground fabric is loose, be
          careful not to pull stitches too tight, or they will pucker. Tension is a
          matter of practice, unfortunately. No matter how carefully I try to
          describe to
          you, my words may not help.
          3. Make sure to couch between each bead, if you aren't already. A basic
          thing, I
          know, but one that isn't always obvious to newer stitchers.

          --
          Kimberly A. Wajer-Scott
          http://www.wajerscott.com