beadwork

  • Rachel Sampsel
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
      I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into a problem of the beads
      forming a crinkly line rather than a straight one after I stitch a string
      of them down. Is there a way around this? I've tried loosening my
      stitches but they beads don't stay in position that way either - they just
      sort of dangle like they ill applied.

      Help?

      Patches
    • John-Joseph Bober
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
        Rachel Sampsel wrote:

        >I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into a problem of the beads
        >forming a crinkly line rather than a straight one after I stitch a string
        >of them down. Is there a way around this? I've tried loosening my
        >stitches but they beads don't stay in position that way either - they just
        >sort of dangle like they ill applied.
        >
        >Help?
        >
        >Patches

        Actually, I've had similar issues couching gold thread to fabric. I've
        found that in my case it was because I was pulling the fabric (ground)
        too tightly while doing the couching. Loosen your ground fabric, and
        they should lay better.

        Jan
      • Marilee Humason
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
          Hi,
          are you couching down in between each bead?
          regards,
          Baroness Anastasia

          --- John-Joseph Bober <jjbober4@...> wrote:

          > Rachel Sampsel wrote:
          >
          > >I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into
          > a problem of the beads
          > >forming a crinkly line rather than a straight one
          > after I stitch a string
          > >of them down. Is there a way around this? I've
          > tried loosening my
          > >stitches but they beads don't stay in position that
          > way either - they just
          > >sort of dangle like they ill applied.
          > >
          > >Help?
          > >
          > >Patches
          > >

          > Actually, I've had similar issues couching gold
          > thread to fabric. I've
          > found that in my case it was because I was pulling
          > the fabric (ground)
          > too tightly while doing the couching. Loosen your
          > ground fabric, and
          > they should lay better.
          >
          > Jan

        • Kimberly A. Wajer-Scott
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
            Quoting Rachel Sampsel <raelee@...>:

            > I'm working on beading a dress and I'm running into a problem

            In my experience there are a few things you can do to help.
            1. It may or may not be period (I don't know), but it is effective: string the
            beads on a fine wire rather than a thread before couching.
            2. Do not use an embroidery hoop or frame. Let the fabric lie limp when
            couching. Problems most often occur when the ground fabric is too tight, then
            when it is released, the couching sags. When the ground fabric is loose, be
            careful not to pull stitches too tight, or they will pucker. Tension is a
            matter of practice, unfortunately. No matter how carefully I try to
            describe to
            you, my words may not help.
            3. Make sure to couch between each bead, if you aren't already. A basic
            thing, I
            know, but one that isn't always obvious to newer stitchers.

            --
            Kimberly A. Wajer-Scott
            http://www.wajerscott.com