FW: [MR] From the Seneschal of Meridies

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      FYI

      -----Original Message-----
      From: atlantia-bounces@...
      [mailto:atlantia-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Sayyida Halima
      al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove
      Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:49 AM
      To: atlantia@...; RavensCove@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MR] From the Seneschal of Meridies

      Forwarded with permission

      Hello all

      I'm Gwen, the seneschal for Meridies....

      Wanted to let everyone know that we have heard from New Orleans (Barony of
      Axemore), and have accounted for our people there. Likewise Mobile and
      Pensacola.

      We have not heard from Biloxi or Hattiesburg as of yet, but the power and
      phones are all still out there--so we're very hopeful.

      New Orleans and MS are in a right state--there is no drinking water
      available and the city is now considered a health hazard. No one can really
      get in or out, and there is now mandatory evacuations of the entire city.

      There are several relief efforts underway, not the least of which are the
      Salvation Army (1-800-SAL-ARMY) and the American Red Cross. Others across
      the Knowne World have contacted myself and my Crown wanting to know where to
      send care packages, etc. Atlanta, GA (Barony of the South Downs) is
      organizing the efforts to get what may come to those in need---we'll post
      here ASAP.

      I cannot convey how touched and grateful we are here in Meridies for the
      outporing of help and concern--we are truly blessed to have such good
      friends in the SCA. You guys are, hands-down, what we are all striving to
      be---noble.

      Thank you all so much again for your thoughts and prayers

      I remain

      Gwen

    • Mikhail Nikolaev
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
        I'm in Meridies and the Barony of the South Downs in Atlanta. We met today
        to begin planning an SCA Relief, what I'll call, war plan. We're working on
        a website to coordinate donations of both money (to a special bank account,
        not to any single person) as well as donations of clothes, etc.

        Her Majesty of Meridies is coordinating this task. So expect more to come.
        We do know the Crown Prince and Princess of Glean Abhann are safe however
        the reports are that they have lost their home.

        There is also a website, SCAdisaster.org in the works.

        -- Mikhail

        > I'm Gwen, the seneschal for Meridies....
        >
        > Wanted to let everyone know that we have heard from New Orleans (Barony of
        > Axemore), and have accounted for our people there. Likewise Mobile and
        > Pensacola.
        >
        > We have not heard from Biloxi or Hattiesburg as of yet, but the power and
        > phones are all still out there--so we're very hopeful.
        >
        > New Orleans and MS are in a right state--there is no drinking water
        > available and the city is now considered a health hazard. No one can
        > really
        > get in or out, and there is now mandatory evacuations of the entire city.
        >
        > There are several relief efforts underway, not the least of which are the
        > Salvation Army (1-800-SAL-ARMY) and the American Red Cross. Others across
        > the Knowne World have contacted myself and my Crown wanting to know where
        > send care packages, etc. Atlanta, GA (Barony of the South Downs) is
        > organizing the efforts to get what may come to those in need---we'll post
        > here ASAP.
        >
        > I cannot convey how touched and grateful we are here in Meridies for the
        > outporing of help and concern--we are truly blessed to have such good
        > friends in the SCA. You guys are, hands-down, what we are all striving to
        > be---noble.
        >
        > Thank you all so much again for your thoughts and prayers
        >
        > I remain
        >
        > Gwen

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nancy Douglas
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Mikhail Nikolaev" <mikhail@a...> wrote:
          > I'm in Meridies and the Barony of the South Downs in Atlanta. We
          met today
          > to begin planning an SCA Relief, what I'll call, war plan. We're
          working on
          > a website to coordinate donations of both money (to a special bank
          account,
          > not to any single person) as well as donations of clothes, etc.
          >
          > Her Majesty of Meridies is coordinating this task. So expect more
          to come.
          > We do know the Crown Prince and Princess of Glean Abhann are safe
          however
          > the reports are that they have lost their home.
          >
          > There is also a website, SCAdisaster.org in the works.

          Today I did like the Channel Four news said and called 311 for more
          information on providing housing. They recommended another website,
          www.katrinahousing.org. I was told to register and I will hear from
          someone in the next few days to verify my offer. See information on
          it down below.

          I also registered with
          www.HurricaneHousing.org A project of www.MoveOn.org

          Ad:

          We just moved into a nice neighborhood near a school. One block from
          a middle school and four blocks from an elementary school. I have
          been an impoverished single parent most of my adult life, so I
          understand. I am about to get married, so two couples or one family
          with grade school aged children would be best. We can take an extra
          cat or dog or two. The large house has two spare bedrooms, each with
          a queen size bed. We also have a single bed on the cat porch. Our
          cats have a porch to go into, and a backyard to wander around. There
          is also a dog in a dog run. Smoking on the cat porch or outside. We
          don't make enough to feed you for a long term, but I can put you in
          touch with temporary agencies for work and helping agencies like food
          stamps.
          Pets OK: YES Smoking OK: YES Handicapped accessible: no Near
          public transit: YES