Re: [sig] Wiki issues (was: Re: re: re: re: cunnan, an SCA wiki)

  • goldschp@tds.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2005
      I'm a big fan of providing as much information as possible. That's why I like the idea that we have a hard copy newsletter, a discussion group, web pages with substance, and web pages with links. I have no problem with adding one or more wiki's to the mix.

      Do I trust a wiki? Nope, not in your life. Do I think a wiki could be helpful? Sure, and that's enough for me.

      So, I'm offering to include a link to a SIG-related wiki (or wikis) off of the main SIG page (http://slavic.freeservers.com) but I don't see it as a replacement for the knowledge pages. In other words, I'd like to see both.

      This doesn't have to be the final word on the discussion, but I did want to clarify that I'm not going to choose one over the other. We can have both.

      -- Paul
    • Tom Cerul
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2005
        > We can have both.
        > -- Paul
        Yeah. I think I'll try to do what I can on Cunnan without stepping on
        anyone's copyrightten articles. We'll see how things look in a year.

        >How about backing up the pages to a zip file every so often, and having
        >this stored on the mailing list's Yahoo! pages?
        >Alastair
        I thought we'd used up nearly all the space that yahoo is willing to
        give us. Oh, yeah, I was/am mixing 2 issues with storage and editors.

        I'd volunteer for one of the editor jobs cause I can do the technical
        labor but I don't know enough to do the academic labor.

        Peace
      • yanagroznaia
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2005
          >>How about backing up the pages to a zip file every so often, and having
          > >this stored on the mailing list's Yahoo! pages?
          > >Alastair
          > I thought we'd used up nearly all the space that yahoo is willing to
          > give us. Oh, yeah, I was/am mixing 2 issues with storage and editors.

          Well, the Russian Knowledge pages are backed up on my home computer.
          At least, the last time I did an update, I saved everything, but that
          was about 2 years ago. So, having a backup isn't really an issue, at
          least in this particular case. And the Russian Knowledge Page isn't
          located on the Discussion Group's Yahoo account, so that is a separate
          issue.

          > I'd volunteer for one of the editor jobs cause I can do the technical
          > labor but I don't know enough to do the academic labor.

          The technical stuff isn't really an issue in the case of the Russian
          Knowledge Pages, although it might be an issue for other Pages. I am
          willing to continue the web-authoring side of things, but I can't keep
          up with the editor side of things, at least, not all by myself, which
          is the real issue. We have the webspace, we have someone to stick
          things up on the web, but we don't have enough people to edit/moderate
          (or whatever you wish to call it) the content.

          --Yana