Sects appeal!

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
      Does anyone know the correct English term - if there is one! - for a
      follower/adherent/member of the late 17th century religious sect founded
      in Russia by Fedosij Vasiljev? (Or indeed where I could find more
      information about this sect...?).

      In Czech it's Fedosejevec, which doesn't really help me a great deal...
      unless Fedosian would be acceptable?

      Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!

      Alastair
      Who just couldn't resist that topic line...

      Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

    • Tom Cerul
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
        A quick google on "Fedosian" gets this 1 (relevant) page
        http://www.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/9710a.html

        Not exactly a huge basis for precedence. Sorry.

        Tomislaus

        On 8/9/05, Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know the correct English term - if there is one! - for a
        > follower/adherent/member of the late 17th century religious sect founded
        > in Russia by Fedosij Vasiljev? (Or indeed where I could find more
        > information about this sect...?).
        >
        > In Czech it's Fedosejevec, which doesn't really help me a great deal...
        > unless Fedosian would be acceptable?
        >
        > Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!
        >
        > Alastair
      • Charles Richter
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
          The branch of Old Believers who followed Feodosii Vasiliev are known as
          the Fedoseevtsy (singular - Fedoseevets). They are among the priestless
          Old Believers, or Bezpopovtsy.

          --Charles Richter

          > On 8/9/05, Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
          >
          >>Does anyone know the correct English term - if there is one! - for a
          >>follower/adherent/member of the late 17th century religious sect founded
          >>in Russia by Fedosij Vasiljev? (Or indeed where I could find more
          >>information about this sect...?).

        • Justin Griffing
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
            A quick google on priestless old believers found the following site, which seems to have some information on him and his followers:

            http://ldmuziejus.mch.mii.lt/Naujausiosparodos/Old_Believers_b.en.htm

            YIS,
            Iustinos Branov

            [Clip your posts. Moderator]