Re: [sig] Knowledge Pages

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2005
      My Czech/Moravian/Slovak site is still in pretty good shape. It's funny, some people who come to it are of mundane Czech/Slovak heritage and think I am too. I joke that I'm a "fake" Czech. Heck, my name is actually French as my persona was originally Burgundian. I got it registered and wanted to keep it. At any rate the site is still working and I've been keeping it updated. I recently lost one of my favorite links, darnit! It was called "In the Footsteps of the Hussites", it was really good.

      Isabelle

      The Knowledge Pages are in a bit of disarray (well, actually the whole SIG
      site is, but one thing at a time...).

      Most of the pages are out of date and some have died. Perhaps we should
      start discussing how to revive the project?

      -- Paul

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
        > Most of the pages are out of date and some have
        > died. Perhaps we should
        > start discussing how to revive the project?
        >
        > -- Paul

        I'd be happy to find/collate links and things for the
        Russian page, though I'm terrible at HTML and don't
        even know other webpage programming languages, so I
        couldn't do the updating personally. But any help I
        could provide, I'd be happy to do: my job is such that
        I can be online 8 hours a day, with minimal
        interference.
        --Sfandra

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • yanagroznaia
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
          > I'd be happy to find/collate links and things for the
          > Russian page, though I'm terrible at HTML and don't
          > even know other webpage programming languages, so I
          > couldn't do the updating personally. But any help I
          > could provide, I'd be happy to do: my job is such that
          > I can be online 8 hours a day, with minimal
          > interference.
          > --Sfandra

          If someone (or many someones) could verify the existing links on the
          Russian pages, I can do the HTML part of everything. Obviously, I
          haven't had the time/inclination/etc to keep the Russian Knowledge
          Page up to date, but I'm happy to just work on the programming side of
          things.

          The only concern I have is who is going to verify the integrity of the
          submitted links and that they fit the parameters of the Russian
          Knowledge Page? In the past, I did that part, but I don't have the
          time any longer.

          --Yana
        • Paul W Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
            At 11:15 AM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
            >The only concern I have is who is going to verify the integrity of the
            >submitted links and that they fit the parameters of the Russian
            >Knowledge Page? In the past, I did that part, but I don't have the
            >time any longer.

            Sounds like the Russian page might be possible to fix up as a joint
            effort. The Polish and Czech pages look pretty good.

            But the ones I worry about are:

            Romania -- dead
            Georgia -- dead

            And the ones that have been inactive for three or more years:

            Hungary
            Estonia (and the Baltic pages in general)

            While one can start by tracking down the owners, I'd really like to recruit
            someone to organize this whole thing. Yana says she doesn't have the time
            at this point. I'm buried in the rest of the SIG stuff (well, that is a
            whole bunch of other projects). Is there anyone out there who'd like to
            take on - at least on a temp basis - the process of inventorying,
            contacting page owners, and recruiting new webmasters for the pages?

            -- Paul