Re: [sig] Rom vardo feedback

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
      X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

      Patches,

      Covered wagons are not just for gypsies. That site you listed has several
      period illustration of them being used by English nobility, etc. in the 14th
      century. (One comes from a German manuscript, which was perfect since my lord
      is German.)

      Granted, this would not be enough documentation for your Viking lord, if he's a
      real purist. But the covered wagon design was so simple, sturdy and practical
      that it survived another 500 years, into the 19th century, and it could be
      _plausibly_ period for an earlier persona.

      Hmm... I just had a vision... a Viking a-frame tent on top of low walls...
      perhaps even simulated stone or turf? Such dug-in/built-up tents are a
      recurring theme in nomadic societies when the next move was not imminent and a
      little extra weather protection was desired. I can think of examples as
      ancient as the old mastodon hunters and as recent as Civil War soldiers setting
      up their winter camps. I can't think of any period examples of such tents off
      the top of my head, but it would be plausible...

      Anyway, in case you can't tell, I have way too much fun thinking about little
      portable shelters. :)

      Sofya la Rus
      architect wannabe

      Quoting Rachel Sampsel <raelee@...>:

      > While I'm am not yet a member of the Vardo Collective, my lord and I have
      > recently acquired a "wagon" but he doesn't want to see the "gypsy look" - as
      > he is viking. So now I'm trying to make plans for a traveling lodge.

      ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
      ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
      ***> www.jumpgate.net <***