Rom vardo feedback

  • Rachel Sampsel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
      While I'm am not yet a member of the Vardo Collective, my lord and I have recently acquired a "wagon" but he doesn't want to see the "gypsy look" - as he is viking. So now I'm trying to make plans for a traveling lodge.

      On a different note, this site does have a lot of "how I did it"s from a large number of gypsy folk that have made their own vardo. Several people have posted their plans nad problems solved here.

      http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/camps.htm

      Patches
      the lurking gypsy
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
        X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

        Patches,

        Covered wagons are not just for gypsies. That site you listed has several
        period illustration of them being used by English nobility, etc. in the 14th
        century. (One comes from a German manuscript, which was perfect since my lord
        is German.)

        Granted, this would not be enough documentation for your Viking lord, if he's a
        real purist. But the covered wagon design was so simple, sturdy and practical
        that it survived another 500 years, into the 19th century, and it could be
        _plausibly_ period for an earlier persona.

        Hmm... I just had a vision... a Viking a-frame tent on top of low walls...
        perhaps even simulated stone or turf? Such dug-in/built-up tents are a
        recurring theme in nomadic societies when the next move was not imminent and a
        little extra weather protection was desired. I can think of examples as
        ancient as the old mastodon hunters and as recent as Civil War soldiers setting
        up their winter camps. I can't think of any period examples of such tents off
        the top of my head, but it would be plausible...

        Anyway, in case you can't tell, I have way too much fun thinking about little
        portable shelters. :)

        Sofya la Rus
        architect wannabe

        Quoting Rachel Sampsel <raelee@...>:

        > While I'm am not yet a member of the Vardo Collective, my lord and I have
        > recently acquired a "wagon" but he doesn't want to see the "gypsy look" - as
        > he is viking. So now I'm trying to make plans for a traveling lodge.

        ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
        ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
        ***> www.jumpgate.net <***