Re: [sig] request for feedback/collaberation-Rom vardo

  • Lewis Tanzos
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
      > Not to rain on anyone's parade, but 4-cylinder cars in general (and
      > putzy 1.9 Saturn engines in particular) are not designed to tow much
      > more than a bike rack, let alone a big trailer with load.
      >
      > My amateur mechanic friend at work strongly recommends caution
      > before subjecting your trusty steed to this sort of load.
      > Otherwise, the building of your wagon may be the least of your
      > worries and costs.

      We towed a very heavy trailer for several years with our Saturn SW1
      wagon, which is a 4-cylinder. It made three trips from Allentown, PA
      to Pennsic and two from there to Gulf Wars, not to mention the
      countless trips from Allentown to Lehighton hauling stuff (including a
      large load of hay) for shire events.

      Car is still going strong, roughly 80,000 miles from when we started
      using it to tow. Not exclusively, but several thousand miles worth of
      towing has been done.

      Don't accelerate, decelerate, or turn hard -- keep it all nice and
      easy -- and you should be fine.

      - Istvan
    • purplkat@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
        Well,,

        I am not a 'brain' on making Vardos, but I HAVE traveled almost every summer as a kid - with my parents in their 28' trailer.

        My Dad used to tell me things like 'See how that trailer is sitting? The weight load is incorrect' 'Always remember to check the site before you pull in' 'Always pitch the trailer a little bit to the back - incase there is a rain storm'
        And other such jewels.

        I would be happy to add my 2 zlotys to the mix.

        Katheryne
        aka Katardzina Bochenek

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
          I think I know the type of trailer you're talking about, one thing I can
          recomend is if your trailer has small odd size tires and wheels get a couple
          of spares to have in all your travels, they are a pain to find in the back
          of beyond. Yes we have had to try and find one--irony is that we had to do
          this on a sunday 40 miles from home. Tape all the wiring up good to the
          frame as it will catch on every thing...weeds, grass, like I said
          everything. Mount the license plate up on your back section having it hang
          off the bottom of the frame just means you will end up straightening it
          after every parking lot in and out.

          Weight wise I can't tell you much but we pulled our plain trailer fully
          loaded (3-4ft high), with a '98 subaru outback wagon (the bigger one) for
          several years to events within 300 miles of us. We have since traded in the
          subaru on a full size truck, having a kid changed how we could pack and now
          2 kids changed it even more.

          Here's a page with links to a bunch of vardos people have made, from the
          large to the small, even the sites for wagons for sale are interesting to
          look at for ideas. http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/camps.htm

          Someday my lord wants to try and build a mobile yurt...OH boy!

          Kathws
          not in the vardo collective but would love to see the plans, more like we're
          in the yurt collective...

          Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 9:34 AM

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26, 2005
            We're having a sign made for ours to say " 'dok &
            Xan's Dacha", with an elephant and a raven or goat,
            Old English lettering though I could probably do
            Bilibin lettering in a pinch.
            Mine will have bow top, setachable shelf top
            sides and modified futon loveseat & detachable walls
            so it can be my "truck bed" in mundania. Free chicken
            wings and beer for hauling, heck yeah!
            Xanetia has a Suburban so we may make another one
            after we move back to Columbus. This is my
            dream.....I'm thinking dooley wheels big, 7" x 12",
            drop top Plastic, like a pop top camper only a vardo.
            Queen sized bed w/ drawers underneath and bracketed by
            a 3'propane dorm fridge on one side and tub storage or
            spare tire, flares & generator on a side out on the
            other. 6' bench seat along one wall & queenie stove
            with trundle countertops along the other side
            bracketing a window, with embedded shelves with slide
            proof rails from the floor to waist hieght. Lots of
            hooks along the ceiling edges for stuff.
            I haven't figured out where to put the TV or
            solar screens yet, but I will....just kidding.
            Xan and I both love to travel and plan to use this
            Vardo as our road home when we retire in 20 years, or
            its successor. Its ambitious, but that's what dreams
            are for.
            'dok

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Lente
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2005
              You know I was just watching hgtv show called:
              Small Space, Big Style Episode HSSBS-101 titled Big Style, Big City
              Visit four homes in four big cities that prove good things DO come in small
              spaces. Retro and modern design combine in historic Old Town Alexandria and
              industrial chic meets laid back beach in a California bungalow. Then see how
              one couple met the challenges of a fifth-floor apartment in New York City
              and why an accomplished painter chose to live in a WWII transport vessel!
              Some of the air times are: August 04, 2005 8:00 PM ET/PT; August 05, 2005
              12:00 AM ET/PT; August 06, 2005 2:00 PM ET/PT; August 07, 2005 11:00 PM
              ET/PT; August 08, 2005 3:00 AM ET/PT

              Seeing the last home of the WWII transport vessel (neat shape with a curved
              roof and each roof end was higher then the center section), it made me
              wonder if anyone has thought of using the idea of one of the medieval barges
              from amsterdam or wherever as the basis for a trailer.

              Kathws

              > We're having a sign made for ours to say " 'dok &
              > Xan's Dacha", with an elephant and a raven or goat,
              > Old English lettering though I could probably do
              > Bilibin lettering in a pinch.
              > Mine will have bow top, setachable shelf top
              > sides and modified futon loveseat & detachable walls
              > so it can be my "truck bed" in mundania. Free chicken
              > wings and beer for hauling, heck yeah!
              > Xanetia has a Suburban so we may make another one
              > after we move back to Columbus. This is my
              > dream.....I'm thinking dooley wheels big, 7" x 12",
              > drop top Plastic, like a pop top camper only a vardo.
              > Queen sized bed w/ drawers underneath and bracketed by
              > a 3'propane dorm fridge on one side and tub storage or
              > spare tire, flares & generator on a side out on the
              > other. 6' bench seat along one wall & queenie stove
              > with trundle countertops along the other side
              > bracketing a window, with embedded shelves with slide
              > proof rails from the floor to waist hieght. Lots of
              > hooks along the ceiling edges for stuff.
              > I haven't figured out where to put the TV or
              > solar screens yet, but I will....just kidding.
              > Xan and I both love to travel and plan to use this
              > Vardo as our road home when we retire in 20 years, or
              > its successor. Its ambitious, but that's what dreams
              > are for.
              > 'dok
            • dairygurly
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
                I know that show to..I watch HGTV all the time..I love most all the
                shows on there lol..Thank you for letting me join..My name
                Kimberly,37,mother,wife,homemaker,friend..I have two children twins.11
                year old daughter ,13 year old son, and son who would be 9 though he
                passed at age 2.Doctors thought he had croop and he did not..

                I live in Iowa central Iowa..I was born in Minnesota.Moved from there
                when i was 12 and lived in the southwest of america for 26 yrs..I
                wanted my seasons and birds and little animal critters back lol..So we
                are now back in Iowa..

                My husband was born in California,his father was from the old Russia
                and his parents migrated over here...

                I would love to live in europe one day with my family as we love to do
                one day..

                Thanks again for letting me join..
                Kimberly

                [Clip your posts]
              • Shannon Anderson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                  While doing some research on these things, I found
                  that my alma mater had posted some great pictures of
                  the birch bark letters that are in Novgorod and I
                  wanted to send this link in case anyone wanted to see
                  them up close without leaving home.

                  http://humanities.uchicago.edu/depts/slavic/bblphotos.html

                  The pictures are pretty nice, you can get pretty good
                  resolution. I personally will be making one of these,
                  since I collected some nice birch bark while I was in
                  Maine a few weeks ago...

                  Margarita

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                    That's a very cool site, thanks for the link!

                    I expecially liked the photos of additional artifacts
                    - I may try to recreate the Horse amulet.

                    Thanks,
                    Sfandra

                    --- Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...> wrote:
                    > While doing some research on these things, I found
                    > that my alma mater had posted some great pictures of
                    > the birch bark letters that are in Novgorod and I
                    > wanted to send this link in case anyone wanted to
                    > see them up close without leaving home.

                    http://humanities.uchicago.edu/depts/slavic/bblphotos.html

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Mir Plemmons
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
                      wonderful!! I'm actually looking for any collections of their
                      contents in translation to at least modern Russian; pref French or
                      English but I can muddle...

                      is
                      Mir