Re: [sig] request for feedback/collaberation-Rom vardo

  • goldschp@tds.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
      Not to rain on anyone's parade, but 4-cylinder cars in general (and putzy 1.9 Saturn engines in particular) are not designed to tow much more than a bike rack, let alone a big trailer with load.

      My amateur mechanic friend at work strongly recommends caution before subjecting your trusty steed to this sort of load. Otherwise, the building of your wagon may be the least of your worries and costs.

      -- Paul

      > I have a 4 banger Saturn and I've always loved and
      > admired the vardos at Pennsic, but have been
      > restricted by haulinng limitations of my "one horse"
      > draught vehicle. So, I had an idea....
      > Why not use the most applicable of the vardo ideas
      > to make a "one horse" vardo? So, the Saturn got a
      > trailer hitch at U-haul and I bought a lightwieght
      > half ton trailer at Harbor Freight Tools last week and
      > assembled Saturday with a buddy. The foldable model
      > for easy storage in my garage....
    • Lewis Tanzos
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
        > Not to rain on anyone's parade, but 4-cylinder cars in general (and
        > putzy 1.9 Saturn engines in particular) are not designed to tow much
        > more than a bike rack, let alone a big trailer with load.
        >
        > My amateur mechanic friend at work strongly recommends caution
        > before subjecting your trusty steed to this sort of load.
        > Otherwise, the building of your wagon may be the least of your
        > worries and costs.

        We towed a very heavy trailer for several years with our Saturn SW1
        wagon, which is a 4-cylinder. It made three trips from Allentown, PA
        to Pennsic and two from there to Gulf Wars, not to mention the
        countless trips from Allentown to Lehighton hauling stuff (including a
        large load of hay) for shire events.

        Car is still going strong, roughly 80,000 miles from when we started
        using it to tow. Not exclusively, but several thousand miles worth of
        towing has been done.

        Don't accelerate, decelerate, or turn hard -- keep it all nice and
        easy -- and you should be fine.

        - Istvan
      • purplkat@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
          Well,,

          I am not a 'brain' on making Vardos, but I HAVE traveled almost every summer as a kid - with my parents in their 28' trailer.

          My Dad used to tell me things like 'See how that trailer is sitting? The weight load is incorrect' 'Always remember to check the site before you pull in' 'Always pitch the trailer a little bit to the back - incase there is a rain storm'
          And other such jewels.

          I would be happy to add my 2 zlotys to the mix.

          Katheryne
          aka Katardzina Bochenek

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
            I think I know the type of trailer you're talking about, one thing I can
            recomend is if your trailer has small odd size tires and wheels get a couple
            of spares to have in all your travels, they are a pain to find in the back
            of beyond. Yes we have had to try and find one--irony is that we had to do
            this on a sunday 40 miles from home. Tape all the wiring up good to the
            frame as it will catch on every thing...weeds, grass, like I said
            everything. Mount the license plate up on your back section having it hang
            off the bottom of the frame just means you will end up straightening it
            after every parking lot in and out.

            Weight wise I can't tell you much but we pulled our plain trailer fully
            loaded (3-4ft high), with a '98 subaru outback wagon (the bigger one) for
            several years to events within 300 miles of us. We have since traded in the
            subaru on a full size truck, having a kid changed how we could pack and now
            2 kids changed it even more.

            Here's a page with links to a bunch of vardos people have made, from the
            large to the small, even the sites for wagons for sale are interesting to
            look at for ideas. http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/camps.htm

            Someday my lord wants to try and build a mobile yurt...OH boy!

            Kathws
            not in the vardo collective but would love to see the plans, more like we're
            in the yurt collective...

            Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 9:34 AM

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2005
              We're having a sign made for ours to say " 'dok &
              Xan's Dacha", with an elephant and a raven or goat,
              Old English lettering though I could probably do
              Bilibin lettering in a pinch.
              Mine will have bow top, setachable shelf top
              sides and modified futon loveseat & detachable walls
              so it can be my "truck bed" in mundania. Free chicken
              wings and beer for hauling, heck yeah!
              Xanetia has a Suburban so we may make another one
              after we move back to Columbus. This is my
              dream.....I'm thinking dooley wheels big, 7" x 12",
              drop top Plastic, like a pop top camper only a vardo.
              Queen sized bed w/ drawers underneath and bracketed by
              a 3'propane dorm fridge on one side and tub storage or
              spare tire, flares & generator on a side out on the
              other. 6' bench seat along one wall & queenie stove
              with trundle countertops along the other side
              bracketing a window, with embedded shelves with slide
              proof rails from the floor to waist hieght. Lots of
              hooks along the ceiling edges for stuff.
              I haven't figured out where to put the TV or
              solar screens yet, but I will....just kidding.
              Xan and I both love to travel and plan to use this
              Vardo as our road home when we retire in 20 years, or
              its successor. Its ambitious, but that's what dreams
              are for.
              'dok

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Lente
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2005
                You know I was just watching hgtv show called:
                Small Space, Big Style Episode HSSBS-101 titled Big Style, Big City
                Visit four homes in four big cities that prove good things DO come in small
                spaces. Retro and modern design combine in historic Old Town Alexandria and
                industrial chic meets laid back beach in a California bungalow. Then see how
                one couple met the challenges of a fifth-floor apartment in New York City
                and why an accomplished painter chose to live in a WWII transport vessel!
                Some of the air times are: August 04, 2005 8:00 PM ET/PT; August 05, 2005
                12:00 AM ET/PT; August 06, 2005 2:00 PM ET/PT; August 07, 2005 11:00 PM
                ET/PT; August 08, 2005 3:00 AM ET/PT

                Seeing the last home of the WWII transport vessel (neat shape with a curved
                roof and each roof end was higher then the center section), it made me
                wonder if anyone has thought of using the idea of one of the medieval barges
                from amsterdam or wherever as the basis for a trailer.

                Kathws

                > We're having a sign made for ours to say " 'dok &
                > Xan's Dacha", with an elephant and a raven or goat,
                > Old English lettering though I could probably do
                > Bilibin lettering in a pinch.
                > Mine will have bow top, setachable shelf top
                > sides and modified futon loveseat & detachable walls
                > so it can be my "truck bed" in mundania. Free chicken
                > wings and beer for hauling, heck yeah!
                > Xanetia has a Suburban so we may make another one
                > after we move back to Columbus. This is my
                > dream.....I'm thinking dooley wheels big, 7" x 12",
                > drop top Plastic, like a pop top camper only a vardo.
                > Queen sized bed w/ drawers underneath and bracketed by
                > a 3'propane dorm fridge on one side and tub storage or
                > spare tire, flares & generator on a side out on the
                > other. 6' bench seat along one wall & queenie stove
                > with trundle countertops along the other side
                > bracketing a window, with embedded shelves with slide
                > proof rails from the floor to waist hieght. Lots of
                > hooks along the ceiling edges for stuff.
                > I haven't figured out where to put the TV or
                > solar screens yet, but I will....just kidding.
                > Xan and I both love to travel and plan to use this
                > Vardo as our road home when we retire in 20 years, or
                > its successor. Its ambitious, but that's what dreams
                > are for.
                > 'dok
              • dairygurly
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
                  I know that show to..I watch HGTV all the time..I love most all the
                  shows on there lol..Thank you for letting me join..My name
                  Kimberly,37,mother,wife,homemaker,friend..I have two children twins.11
                  year old daughter ,13 year old son, and son who would be 9 though he
                  passed at age 2.Doctors thought he had croop and he did not..

                  I live in Iowa central Iowa..I was born in Minnesota.Moved from there
                  when i was 12 and lived in the southwest of america for 26 yrs..I
                  wanted my seasons and birds and little animal critters back lol..So we
                  are now back in Iowa..

                  My husband was born in California,his father was from the old Russia
                  and his parents migrated over here...

                  I would love to live in europe one day with my family as we love to do
                  one day..

                  Thanks again for letting me join..
                  Kimberly

                  [Clip your posts]
                • Shannon Anderson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                    While doing some research on these things, I found
                    that my alma mater had posted some great pictures of
                    the birch bark letters that are in Novgorod and I
                    wanted to send this link in case anyone wanted to see
                    them up close without leaving home.

                    http://humanities.uchicago.edu/depts/slavic/bblphotos.html

                    The pictures are pretty nice, you can get pretty good
                    resolution. I personally will be making one of these,
                    since I collected some nice birch bark while I was in
                    Maine a few weeks ago...

                    Margarita

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                      That's a very cool site, thanks for the link!

                      I expecially liked the photos of additional artifacts
                      - I may try to recreate the Horse amulet.

                      Thanks,
                      Sfandra

                      --- Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...> wrote:
                      > While doing some research on these things, I found
                      > that my alma mater had posted some great pictures of
                      > the birch bark letters that are in Novgorod and I
                      > wanted to send this link in case anyone wanted to
                      > see them up close without leaving home.

                      http://humanities.uchicago.edu/depts/slavic/bblphotos.html

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Mir Plemmons
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
                        wonderful!! I'm actually looking for any collections of their
                        contents in translation to at least modern Russian; pref French or
                        English but I can muddle...

                        is
                        Mir