Re: Byzantine garb

  • Xristina Viaceslavova
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Justin Griffing <jm_griffing@y...> wrote:

      > Ok. This is the closest place I can think of to ask my question and
      > hope that someone on here may have an answer.

      Have you tried posting your question to the SCA Byzantine list? They
      are also a good source of information - though I would suggest that
      you add in the time period you are actually looking at for your garb
      because, as with many places, there are immense changes in the
      clothing over time.

      Hope this helps
      Xristina
    • L. Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
        Ummmm, Anya? I'd loved to get a copy of the whole handout. Any chance of that? I'd be happy to send somethign to copy copying/postage costs. Or, I have a DSL internet service, if you have a scanner you could email it? Huh? Huh? Pretty please?!
        LLisa W.
        my byzantine costuming class handout (its 80 pages long, i dont think you want the whole thing :-) ), along with some pictures from primary sources.
        anya

      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
          X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

          Stamerov states that the rectangular ubrus was 2m by 40-50cm. I suspect he was
          refering to Tsaritsa Anastasiya's surviving ubrus. I've made a couple of
          _very_ simple ubrusy with these dimensions (approx. 2yd x 2ft), and they seem
          to work well, although I'm still working out the best way to wrap them.

          Stamerov, K.K. Translated by Tatiana Nikolaevna Tumanova. An Illustrated
          History of Costume. Avenger, Kiev, 1978.

          In Service,
          Sofya la Rus

          Quoting LiudmilaV@...:

          > An ubrus that belonged to Tsaritsa Anastasiia Romanovna, wife of Ivan the
          > Terrible (XVIth century), was made of scarlet taffeta 2 meters long.
          >
          > Unfortunately, my source does
          > not
          > allow establishing the width of the ubrus

          ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
          ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
          ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
        • jennifer knox
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
            hi!
            wow, i didnt realize that there was so much interest. how about i upload it to the group page?
            im in the middle of a monster embroidery project but ill have time to do it in a few weeks? i can also put up the source for my 15th century moldavian dress that i promised to some of you a while back. my only concern is that it includes tons of photocopies of primary sources (illuminations, wall paintings, etc) and that putting them online would be violating copywright. so ill keep the pictures up for a week or two so everyone can print them and then maybe the moderator can take them off after that time?
            anya

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
              Sounds like a wonderful plan! Just let us know when!
              Thanks,
              Lisa W. in MT