Re: Buttons

  • Kurt and Theresa Ryder
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 1999
      Item 75. Braided gold and silver threads.
      Tassels at the ends. Buttons are round and covered with cloth. 17th
      century. Moscow. Armory, Kremlin museum.

      Item 77 Button
      Silver gilt. Large, almoned-shaped, and composed of two spheres with a
      chased scale design. The loop is surrounded by a chased design in the form
      of a twelve-petal rosette. 17th century Russian work. Size: 5.5 x 3.3 x
      2.7 cm. Historical Museum

      Item 78 Button
      Silver gilt. Egg shaped. Solidly covered with etched design. First half
      of the 17th century, Moscow. 7.3 x 5.5 cm. Historical Museum

      Item 79 Button
      Silver gilt. Spherical. Completely decorated with granulations set with
      rings. 17th century, Russian work. Length 4.7 cm. Historical Museum.

      Item 80 Button
      Solid silver, with multicolored enameld plated silver stars. 17th centruy
      Russia Size: 3.5 x 2.4 x 2.4 cm.

      Item 81 Button
      Solid silver. Oopenwork, decordated with an intricate design of filigree and
      granulation. 17th century, Russia. Size: 4.9 x 3.3 x 3.3 cm.

      Item 82. Button
      Silver gilt. Spherical. Openwork, filigree ornament solidly covered with
      granulation. Granulated silver beads form a pyramid. 17th century, Russia.
      Size 3.1 x 1.9 x 1.8 cm.

      Item 83. Button
      Silver gild. Pear-shaped. Solidly covered with filigree ornametn and
      painted enamel with palted silver stars and beads. A crowned red stone at
      the end. Mid-17th century Moscow. Size 3 x 2.2 cm.

      These are "shank" style buttons.

      All from History of Russian costume from the eleventh to the twentieth
      century : from the collections of the Arsenal Museum, Leningrad, Hermitage,
      Leningrad, Historical Museum, Moscow, Kremlin Museums, Moscow, Pavlovsk
      Museum : [catalogue / compiled by Alyoshina ... et al.].Published: New York
      : Metropolitan Museum of Art, ISBN: 0870991604

      Volkova

    • bphall76@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
        Does anyone know if there has been a book or article published on Russian
        buttons from our period? I have a couple (buttons) that I picked up from an
        antiquarian and was hoping for more data than I can glean from them. BTW, they
        are 1.5 cm, bronze and spereoid both from the Staraya Ladoga area. One has bits
        of enamel left on it white, black (or dark blue, it's hard to tell even with
        a loupe) and yellow. That one is listed as 12-13th c. The other is hollow
        cast and guessed as 10-12th c and possibly of Finno-Urgrian origin.

        Thanks
        Vasilisa Myshkina
        Glymm Mere, An Tir