Re: [sig] Re: Russian Food

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
      Greetings!

      > My shire is also planning a Russian themed event. The guy who wanted
      > to feastcrat wasn't happy when we sprung the idea on him though. He
      > grumped about having to dig up documentation for a period Russian
      > feast. He is Hungarian mundanely, and had this notion that his modern
      > Hungarian recipes would work for a medieval Russian feast. So I loaned
      > him The Domostroi, Food and Drink in Medieval Poland, and Food in
      Weeeeelll...
      AFAIR Poland was much more influenced by the Central/Western Europe, especially by the time of late medieval...
      (skipped)

      > <<At first I thought the chicken with prunes was a little weird, and
      > technically it is for Russian, but then I found a Polish recipe for
      > it that is very similar to yours Mistress Oriana. I like the thought
      > of it stuffed with kasha, yum. The kasha recipe from the Domostroi
      > is cooked with onion and ham, which sounds very tasty too. My
      > suggestion for the appetizer tray would be blini, ya gotta have
      > blini, with melted butter and sour cream, smoked salmon thinly
      > sliced, thinly sliced smoked meaty whitefish, a small amount of
      or chopped salmon, as a spread...
      or onion+chopped bacon fat\lard, fried on the pan (pripyok if we treat Blini culture of the Russians, Machanka if we treat traditional couisine of Buelorussia - if we add sour cream to this, but be careful, only traditionally-thin Buelorussians can eat Machanka with potato oladii and remain thin as they were, all the other nations gain weight on this diet with lightning speed :-) )

      > caviar, pickles, pickled beets, pickled mushrooms and maybe small
      > sausages. Hell, slices of kielbasa would work to lighten the budget.
      Ergm, afaik sausages were gained by the Russian kitchen from the Germans...

      Bye,
      Alex