Re: [sig] kerchiefs

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2005
      In a message dated 7/12/2005 7:58:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      hlaislinn@... writes:

      He is discussing the clothes of noblewomen , "In summer they go often with
      kerchiefs of fine white lawn or cambric fastened under the chin with two long
      tassles pendant, the kerchief spotted and set thick with rich pearl". p244

      The kerchiefs described in this passage were known in Russian at the time as
      "ubrus" (singular, plural is ubrusy). The pearls went on a rectangular
      applique sewn onto the forehead part of the ubrus, as well as on the ends. These
      were rather long and rectangular, and can be seen on most women in period
      miniatures. There is also a surviving ubrus made by Anastasia Romanovna, first
      wife of Ivan the not yet Terrible.

      Liudmila

    • Kseniia Smolnianina
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 12, 2005
        So, if I understand correctly, the rectangular forehead piece is sewn
        right onto the ubrus? I somehow never understoond this detail!
        Thanks for the info.

        Any chance you have a picture of the one made by Anastasia Romanova?
        I'm curious about the dimensions.

        --Kseniia

        --
        **********************************
        Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 12, 2005
          Ah, I get it! The "kerchief" mentioned by Fletcher is a generic term for a head wrap, while the Russians wore a specific type of scarf wrapped in certain styles. I know that the Vikings are often depicted in kerchiefs and that is erroneous, since carvings and jewelry show long headwraps. I was just hoping that maybe the late 1500's might be the time that "babushkas" started being worn, instead of the 1800's, and Fletcher's observations could be taken at face value. Oh well, nice thought....

          Nadya

          [Clip your posts. Moderator]
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 12, 2005
            do you have a cite for Anastasia's ubrus? My own
            Anastasiia has been pestering me lately about that.
            I'd be eternally grateful!
            'dok

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • LiudmilaV@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 12, 2005
              In a message dated 7/12/2005 6:23:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              mordakus@... writes:

              do you have a cite for Anastasia's ubrus? My own
              Anastasiia has been pestering me lately about that.
              I'd be eternally grateful!
              'dok

              Now I do. It is in the SIG list file section, under Liudmila's Book Finds.

              Here are my notes on it, from
              Iakunina, L. I. Russkoie Shit’ie Zhemchugom (Russian Pearl Embroidery).
              Iskusstvo, Moscow, 1955.
              and with extrapolations on the size of the piece based on the photo
              dimensions and the size of the front applique given by Iakunina:
              An ubrus that belonged to Tsaritsa Anastasiia Romanovna, wife of Ivan the
              Terrible (XVIth century), was made of scarlet taffeta 2 meters long. In the
              front middle part it is adorned with blue silk damask rectangle, 40 cm long
              and 16 cm wide. This rectangle, “ochel’ie,” is richly embroidered in pearls
              and gold with enameled or etched inserts. The embroidery runs along the main
              body of the ubrus towards its ends. The ends themselves are trimmed with the
              endings made of 36.5 cm of the same blue fabric with slightly different
              embroidery (Iakunina, p. 74 and Figure 32). Unfortunately, my source does not
              allow establishing the width of the ubrus, but it has to be wide enough to go
              all the way down the back of the head, over hair pinned on top (in braids, most
              likely).
              Good luck in your attempts. That is my next project, also.
              Liudmila

            • jennifer knox
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
                Hi! cuffs were generally seperate and heavily ornamented. they would have been made either of metal or of stiff embroidered and/or jeweled leather. remember that ecclesiastical costume was quite different from what lay people wore. if you tell me what century you are working from i can email you the relevant parts of my byzantine costuming class handout (its 80 pages long, i dont think you want the whole thing :-) ), along with some pictures from primary sources.
                anya

                Justin Griffing <jm_griffing@...> wrote:
                Ok. This is the closest place I can think of to ask my question and hope that someone on here may have an answer. I am working with a friend on some Byzantine court garb that she is making for me and we are trying to identify the pieces. Looking at pictures, it seems that the cuffs on the tunica match the dalmatica. My guess, from studying history of Eastern ecclesiastical vesture, is that these cuffs are actually almost a "vambrace" type, in that they are completely a separate piece from the tunica and thus can be worn with a variety of tunicae. Does anyone know if that is the case or if they were sewn on the tunica?

                Thanks in advance,
                Iustinos

                ---------------------------------

                "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

              • Justin Griffing
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
                  Thanks for the reply!

                  Everything I've read has suggested that ecclesiastical vesture actually developed from the court garb of the Byzantine court. While this may not be true of things such as the epitrachelion and zone, it seems true of the stikherion (which seems identical to the tunica), cuffs, and sakko (later development, but very similar to the court dalmatica). I could see the phelonion as a development from the Byzantine cape.

                  As to your class handout, I'll gladly take the whole thing, actually :-), but the 12th-13th c. is what is most pertinent.

                  Thanks for the reply.

                  Iustinos

                  [Clip your posts. Moderator]
                • Stephanie M. Ross
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
                    I would love the whole thing!! Could I send you some money to cover
                    printing and shipping, and have you snail-mail me a copy?

                    Thanks,
                    Nadya

                    [Clip your posts. Moderator]
                  • Xristina Viaceslavova
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Justin Griffing <jm_griffing@y...> wrote:

                      > Ok. This is the closest place I can think of to ask my question and
                      > hope that someone on here may have an answer.

                      Have you tried posting your question to the SCA Byzantine list? They
                      are also a good source of information - though I would suggest that
                      you add in the time period you are actually looking at for your garb
                      because, as with many places, there are immense changes in the
                      clothing over time.

                      Hope this helps
                      Xristina
                    • L. Williams
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
                        Ummmm, Anya? I'd loved to get a copy of the whole handout. Any chance of that? I'd be happy to send somethign to copy copying/postage costs. Or, I have a DSL internet service, if you have a scanner you could email it? Huh? Huh? Pretty please?!
                        LLisa W.
                        my byzantine costuming class handout (its 80 pages long, i dont think you want the whole thing :-) ), along with some pictures from primary sources.
                        anya

                      • Lisa Kies
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 13, 2005
                          X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

                          Stamerov states that the rectangular ubrus was 2m by 40-50cm. I suspect he was
                          refering to Tsaritsa Anastasiya's surviving ubrus. I've made a couple of
                          _very_ simple ubrusy with these dimensions (approx. 2yd x 2ft), and they seem
                          to work well, although I'm still working out the best way to wrap them.

                          Stamerov, K.K. Translated by Tatiana Nikolaevna Tumanova. An Illustrated
                          History of Costume. Avenger, Kiev, 1978.

                          In Service,
                          Sofya la Rus

                          Quoting LiudmilaV@...:

                          > An ubrus that belonged to Tsaritsa Anastasiia Romanovna, wife of Ivan the
                          > Terrible (XVIth century), was made of scarlet taffeta 2 meters long.
                          >
                          > Unfortunately, my source does
                          > not
                          > allow establishing the width of the ubrus

                          ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
                          ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
                          ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
                        • jennifer knox
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
                            hi!
                            wow, i didnt realize that there was so much interest. how about i upload it to the group page?
                            im in the middle of a monster embroidery project but ill have time to do it in a few weeks? i can also put up the source for my 15th century moldavian dress that i promised to some of you a while back. my only concern is that it includes tons of photocopies of primary sources (illuminations, wall paintings, etc) and that putting them online would be violating copywright. so ill keep the pictures up for a week or two so everyone can print them and then maybe the moderator can take them off after that time?
                            anya

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
                              Sounds like a wonderful plan! Just let us know when!
                              Thanks,
                              Lisa W. in MT