temple rings?

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
      These gold "earrings" are for sale out at Ebay. The sellers say that they are Roman earrings excavated in Russia. I can't see for the life of me how one would put them through the ear lobe. They look very similar to temple rings depicted in Peter Beatson's internet article "Temple Rings ... in Rus". What do you all think?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7327538969&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

      Nadya

      "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."
      - Jerrold Nadler

    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2005
        X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

        Nadya,
        I have not seen that type of spiral wire decoration on any Russian temple rings
        (the Severian temple rings have a very different type of spiral motif), and
        Russians tended to use silver much more than gold, except in some of the
        wonderful enameled kolti. But that's nit-picking.

        The earrings were probably meant to be fairly permanent. Especially if they
        were as valuable as the seller describes, they might well have been the only
        earrings a lady would have, and she would not have taken them off very often,
        if ever.

        In service,
        Sofya la Rus

        P.S. Just because a source comes directly from the Ukraine, doesn't make it
        a "primary source" for Ukrainian garb. A "primary source" is a period
        document, whether a manuscript illumination, birchbark letter, archeological
        artifact, church fresco, etc. I suspect your Ebay book is a "secondary source"
        that discusses what the author believes about Ukrainian costume history,
        hopefully based on "primary sources" that the auther has included in the book.

        Quoting Stephanie Ross <hlaislinn@...>:

        > These gold "earrings" are for sale out at Ebay. The sellers say that they are
        > Roman earrings excavated in Russia. I can't see for the life of me how one
        > would put them through the ear lobe. They look very similar to temple rings
        > depicted in Peter Beatson's internet article "Temple Rings ... in Rus". What
        > do you all think?
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        ViewItem&item=7327538969&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

        ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
        ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
        ***> www.jumpgate.net <***