lapti

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
      This seller has lapti (birch bark basket-woven shoes) for sale that are made in Russia. Right now he only has ones that look like slippers, but he sells proper lapti with the leg lacings also. Mine look like ballet toe shoes, which I thought was hysterical when my brain made the connection. I glued a piece of leather to the bottoms of mine so that they wouldn't wear out so quickly. If you email him via "ask seller a question" he will have them made for you.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4006&item=3983856483

      Nice pics of lapti here, but the price is very dear.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4006&item=3906423482&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

      Just FYI,
      Nadya

      "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."
      - Jerrold Nadler

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        Greetings!

        > This seller has lapti (birch bark basket-woven shoes) for sale that are made in Russia. Right now he only has ones that look like slippers, but he sells proper lapti with the leg

        Ergm... They ALL are proper. The pattern depends on the region, that's all.
        If the group waits 4-5 days, I will finish scanning my lapti manual (those who asked me to send it - sorry, I had really busy time since early spring...) and will place the files at yahoogroups.

        lacings also. Mine look like ballet toe shoes, which I thought was hysterical when my brain made the connection. I glued a piece of leather to the bottoms of mine so that they wouldn't wear out so quickly. If you email him via "ask seller a question" he will have them made for you.

        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4006&item=3983856483
        >
        > Nice pics of lapti here, but the price is very dear.
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4006&item=3906423482&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

        Bye,
        Alex.
      • Stephanie Ross
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
          By proper I meant the foot-enclosing lapti with the wrapping ties, not the
          slipper-type that was depicted in the auction. Did they wear the
          slipper-type too? "Proper" probably wasn't the best term. I'm not
          well-versed in lapti, so I will eagerly look forward to reading your manual!

          Nadya

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2005
            Greetings!

            > By proper I meant the foot-enclosing lapti with the wrapping ties, not the
            They all had ones.

            > slipper-type that was depicted in the auction. Did they wear the
            > slipper-type too? "Proper" probably wasn't the best term. I'm not
            Yep. With Obory (that's what the rope attached to the rear of the shoe is called) you have no difference between a shoe- and the slipper-like Lapti. All in all, they fit the foot like a glove, provided you don't forget to wrap the foot and the ankle into Onuchi (~20 cm wide, 2 m long) or Portyanki (40 cm wide, 70+ cm long, in use since 14 century).

            > well-versed in lapti, so I will eagerly look forward to reading your manual!

            Actually, the weaving part is not mine, it is the scan of the do-it-yourself article that 0 rarely for such stuff - dealt with not only pencil boxes and spectacles cases, but (also)with real backpacks for berry-collectors and Lapti of the North-western region. Mine are the comments :-)

            Bye,
            Alex.