Re: sarafan trim

  • Stephanie M. Ross
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "anyakyle" <anyakyle@h...> wrote:
      > anyone out there into costuming? i'm really perplexed as to what
      kind
      > of trim to use on a sarafan. hand embroidered? what sort of
      > embroidery? bought from a trim merchant? what sort of design? i
      > have so far made two sarafans and have used Japanese braid
      > (kumihimo). it looks good and is hand done but i'm sure it's
      > not 'correct.' and advice?
      >
      > --anya

      Hi Anya,

      For my first sarafan I used wide cloth-of-gold style trim down the
      front and for the straps, the kind that has the wire in it, which I
      of course took out. The cloth I used was blue cotton with little red
      diamonds printed on it. My second sarafan is a blue cotton with a
      design printed on it in a bit darker blue that looks like brocade. I
      put a 2" wide Slavic-style cotton trim in red, yellow and blue. I
      used cotton because I live in Florida and it is damn hot here!! My
      next one will be made from brocade. On Ebay, renaissancefabric has
      lovely brocade and trim. My favorite trim seller is crownrose - she
      sells Viking, Magyar, Slavic and Lapp trim at very reasonable
      prices. Another type of trim that is good for sarafans is braided
      gold cord.

      Nadya