Russian jewelry book

  • bphall76@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 21, 2005
      Has anyone heard of the book "Jewellery of Medieval Novgorod (10th -15th
      Centuries)"? It's by M. V. Sedova and published in 1981 in Moscow. Unfortunately
      I don't have either the name of the publisher or the ISBN. {The book is
      referenced in an article titled "Finno-Ugrian Jewellery from Medieval Novgorod" by
      Lyuba V. Pokrovskaya in the book "Novgorod: the Archeology of a Medieval City
      and its Hinterland" edited by Mark Brisbane and David Gaimster}

      Thanks
      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir

    • Rebecca Lucas
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 22, 2005
        Hi Vasilisa,
        There is a copy of it available at my university library. One small catch -
        it's in Australia.
        If you know what section you're looking for, I'd be happy to photocopy the
        appropiate bit and mail it to you.

        Mind you, I'm now drooling over the book you found the reference in, so
        maybe we could have a photocopy-swap? :)

        Sorry I'm not on the same continent as you!
        Asfridhr Ulfvidhardottir
        College of St. Bartholomew, Lochac.

        >From: sig@yahoogroups.com
        >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [sig] Digest Number 1765
        >Date: 22 Jun 2005 13:56:36 -0000
        > Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:49:14 EDT
        > From: bphall76@...
        >Subject: Russian jewelry book
        >
        >Has anyone heard of the book "Jewellery of Medieval Novgorod (10th -15th
        >Centuries)"? It's by M. V. Sedova and published in 1981 in Moscow.
        >Unfortunately
        >I don't have either the name of the publisher or the ISBN. {The book is
        >referenced in an article titled "Finno-Ugrian Jewellery from Medieval
        >Novgorod" by
        >Lyuba V. Pokrovskaya in the book "Novgorod: the Archeology of a Medieval
        >City
        >and its Hinterland" edited by Mark Brisbane and David Gaimster}
        >
        >Thanks
        >Vasilisa Myshkina
        >Glymm Mere, An Tir

      • Danks Cole
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23, 2005
          Hi Asfridhr...

          I was wondering if you have access to a scanner.....that way we can all
          see examples out of this book.

          Vlakh

          [clip your posts]
        • Bethany
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 23, 2005
            Could you please post the ISBN so we can see if we can find it over
            here somewhere?

            - Alasa

            On 6/22/05, Rebecca Lucas <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:
            > Hi Vasilisa,
            > There is a copy of it available at my university library. One small catch -
            > it's in Australia.
            > If you know what section you're looking for, I'd be happy to photocopy the
            > appropiate bit and mail it to you.
            >
            > Mind you, I'm now drooling over the book you found the reference in, so
            > maybe we could have a photocopy-swap? :)
            >
            > Sorry I'm not on the same continent as you!
            > Asfridhr Ulfvidhardottir
            > College of St. Bartholomew, Lochac.
          • Paul W Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 23, 2005
              Why is an ISBN valuable? I don't know any card catalogs that require
              it. And Eastern European ISBNs are rarely found in any databases.

              At 02:40 PM 6/23/2005, you wrote:
              >Could you please post the ISBN so we can see if we can find it over
              >here somewhere?
              >
              > - Alasa
            • Bethany
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 23, 2005
                Ohhh. See, I was figuring that I might be able to find it on one of
                the Amazons or BNs with the ISBN. *shrugs* Oh well.

                - Alasa

                On 6/23/05, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
                > Why is an ISBN valuable? I don't know any card catalogs that require
                > it. And Eastern European ISBNs are rarely found in any databases.
              • Susan Koziel
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 23, 2005
                  But I need the ISBN to help my University library find
                  it. They like as much info as possible to track a book
                  down.
                  Thanks.
                  -Kataryna

                • goldschp@tds.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 24, 2005
                    If anything, you would really want the OCLC. That, at least, would be unique.

                    I don't know a university library ILL department that couldn't find a book with author, title, publisher, and copyright year.

                    The need for an ISBN is an urban myth. It's not part of any standard academic citation system.

                    -- Paul

                    > But I need the ISBN to help my University library find
                    > it. They like as much info as possible to track a book
                    > down.
                    > Thanks.
                    > -Kataryna
                  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 24, 2005
                      > If anything, you would really want the OCLC. That, at least, would be unique.

                      Actually, it's less unique than the ISBN, since each edition of a book
                      has a single ISBN, while there will be multiple OCLC records for the
                      same edition.

                      > I don't know a university library ILL department that couldn't find a book with author, title, publisher, and copyright year.

                      It depends. If the book was originally published in another language,
                      the ISBN can in fact be helpful.

                      > The need for an ISBN is an urban myth. It's not part of any standard academic citation system.

                      No, it's not part of any standard citation format. But on the web, it
                      can be very helpful for finding the items, and the more info we have to
                      find a foreign language title the better.

                      -- Jadwiga "I'm a librarian, Jim, not a magician!" Zajaczkowa

                      ""So that's what librarians do: Share knowledge. Share pleasure. Share
                      ideas for a better world." -- MaryLaine Block
                    • Rebecca Lucas
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 24, 2005
                        I can give you only the information that I can get from the library
                        catalogue.

                        Author: Sedova, M. V. (Mariia Vladimirovna)
                        Title: IUvelirnye izdeliia drevnego Novgoroda : X-XV vv. / M.V. Sedova.
                        Published: Moskva : Izd-vo "Nauka", 1981.
                        Phys desc 192 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 22 cm.
                        Notes: At head of title: Akademiia nauk SSSR. Ordena Trudovogo Krasnogo
                        Znameni Institut arkheologii.

                        I can't find anything ISBN-looking, and I have to agree with Paul, I rarely
                        can find Eastern European ISBNs.
                        If anyone can understand MARC displayed info, the snipped URL is:
                        http://snipurl.com/ftiv

                        I don't read Russian, so I'm not sure what would be important to scan and
                        post to the group. (It's unlikely that the cover would be helpful, as the
                        university library often will put their own embossed covers on.)

                        I will go to the library on Monday and track it down,
                        Asfridhr

                        >But I need the ISBN to help my University library find
                        >it. They like as much info as possible to track a book
                        >down.
                        >Thanks.
                        >-Kataryna
                      • quokkaqueen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 26, 2005
                          Hi guys,
                          I went to the library, picked up the book, went to the counter and realised
                          I'd left my library card at home.

                          I did manage to photocopy the cover, title and contents pages of
                          IUvelirnye izdeliia drevnego Novgoroda : X-XV vv. and will scan them in
                          when I can get near a scanner so that people can give me a better idea of
                          what pages of the book to scan in (it's full of drawings and photos of
                          jewellery, very drool-worthy)

                          I also discovered a book called "Tadzhikskie iuvelirnye ukrasheniia :
                          (materialy k istoriko-kul'turnomu raionirovaniiu)" by L.A. Chvyr' and am
                          happy to scan in the contents page of that too.

                          I do apologise that I can't read a word of Russian so I'm really not much
                          help when it comes to knowing what to scan in.

                          Asfridhr
                        • Susan Koziel
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
                            Thanks.
                            :)
                            -Kataryna (who still owes costume book scans... doh!)