[sig] 10th Century Rus Questions (was How We Use Slovo)

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 19, 2005
      X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

      Tom,

      The Slavic Interest Group's Russian Knowledge Page is always the place to start
      answering such questions.

      http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/

      John Sloan's website, Medieval Russian Armor, is excellent. And Norman
      Finkelstein's "Armour and Warriors of the Silk Road" is also very helpful.
      There is a pretty little Osprey book about "Armies of Medieval Russia 750-1250"
      by David Nicolle which you could also look at.

      http://www.xenophongi.org/rushistory/medievalarmor/parti.htm - Sloan
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3505/ - Finkelstein.

      My personal Medieval Russian Life page has information both on Men's Clothing
      in Early Rus, and on early Russian Arms and Armor. Much of what I discuss in
      my article on 13th and 14th century Russian Arms and Armor also applies to the
      10th century. (I need to fix the illustrations, however.)

      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia - my Russian material.

      In service,
      Sofya la Rus

      Quoting Tom Cerul <tom.cerul@...>:

      > In return though I'm going to start asking a bunch of dumb, newbie questions
      > about the 10th century Rus, like "where can I find patterns?" and "What kind
      > of helmet did they wear and where can I get an image of it to give to an
      > armourer?"

      ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
      ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
      ***> www.jumpgate.net <***