Newbie - question

  • earthhands123
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14 5:36 PM
      Hello! I am new to the group and new to developing my persona as a
      Slavic. I am planning on attending my first Pensic this summer and am
      wondering how to dress period AND stay cool. I am also a mom to a
      nursling so I have to take this into consideration when I make my
      garb. Any thoughts would be so helpful.
      Thank you!
      Warmly,
      Jill

      Member of the Shire of Heronter.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15 9:14 AM
        Welcome Aboard Jill!
        There are others on this list much more attuned to
        this question, being mothers themselves, but I see a
        lot of ladies at Pennsic wearing peplos and chitons.
        This includes a lady in my camp who was nursing her
        latest child a couple years ago...O can't see any
        reason why you couldn't "slavacize" it. But, I'm a guy
        and unlikely to nurse anything more important than a
        hangover at Pennsic;)
        This is where I defer to the ladies....
        'dok

        --- earthhands123 <nursinmamaa@...> wrote:

        > Hello! I am new to the group and new to developing
        > my persona as a
        > Slavic. I am planning on attending my first Pensic
        > this summer and am
        > wondering how to dress period AND stay cool. I am
        > also a mom to a
        > nursling so I have to take this into consideration
        > when I make my
        > garb. Any thoughts would be so helpful.
        > Thank you!
        > Warmly,
        > Jill
        >
        > Member of the Shire of Heronter.

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
      • bphall76@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16 10:15 AM
          Well, I'll put my kopecks worth in. If you have a tunic that opens about to
          the waist, you can get your nursling to lunch without fighting too much. Pin
          or otherwise fasten it about where your sternum is, and belt it. You could
          also wear a LIGHTweight over tunic (cotton and linen are our friends)! over the
          deep slit gown. My two gowns have worked well so far. From what I've seen
          Slavicizing or Russification happens mainly in the decorative details rather than
          the lines of the clothing.

          IS
          Vasilisa Myshkina
          Glymm Mere, An Tir

        • purplkat@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17 9:17 AM
            I have also seen a sarafan with the straps that 'undo' (ie snap, hook, pin).
            So all you have to do is un-snap one strap and nurse.

            I have also seen a mother who wore a side-less surcoat with the deep side openings. She could easily nurse while not showing anything to the public.

            Katheryne
            who has no children but has seen many nursing mothers at events
          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19 7:43 AM
              X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

              I have a small nit to pick here.

              Slavic garb is not "mainly in the decorative details rather than the lines of
              clothing." Unless your garb consists only of simple T-tunics, Russian clothing
              is definitely cut on a different line than clothing in western Europe. The
              western Slavs (Poles, etc.) borrowed more from Italy and western Europe, and I
              don't know as much about their situation, but I know for a fact that you can't
              take your houpeland, throw some freshwater pearls on it, and call it Russian.

              In service and with apologies for any unintended harshness of tone,
              Sofya la Rus

              Quoting bphall76@...:

              > From what I've seen
              > Slavicizing or Russification happens mainly in the decorative details rather
              > than
              > the lines of the clothing.

              ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
              ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
              ***> www.jumpgate.net <***