Site search (was How We Use Slovo)

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2005
      Paul writes...

      > What does that do?

      Simply, it provides a Google search box that restricts search results to
      those from your own website. The official blurb is here:
      http://www.google.com/services/free.html and here:
      http://www.google.com/faq_freewebsearch.html - what you end up with is a
      Google box that offers the options "search the web" and "search this
      site". Since Google can index .pdf's as well as normal pages, it seems
      to me that this would make all issues of SLOVO instantly searchable from
      the homepage.

      > is now "deprecated" and IE and other browsers are seriously
      > talking about no longer supporting it fully... [snip]
      > In sum, sooner or later, if you are not using CSS with your HTML, the
      > browsers are not going to be able to read it. Isn't progress
      wonderful?

      Can't see it happening, frankly - there are just too many HTML pages out
      there to make that possible. I think we're talking an awful lot later...
      by which time some bright spark will have brought out some automagical
      "convert your HTML to CSS now before it's too late!" software ;-)

      ttfn

      A.

      Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =