Re: [sig] How We Use Slovo (was Taking Slovo to PDF)

  • bphall76@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 9, 2005
      As for myself, I read it online.

      Vasilisa Myshkina

    • Jenna Mitelman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 9, 2005
        One thing that may be an issue when using pdf is the matter of online searching.
        If something is discussed in an article in a past issue of Slovo, and
        I don't know about it, but I do a Google search on the subject, the
        relevant Slovo article would turn up in my search. I'm not certain how
        well that would work with pdfs, as I have in the past run into some
        trouble when searching for content of pdfs.
        I use Slovo rather often as a resource I find when doing a general
        search, so losing that particular capability would be quite a loss, in
        my opinion.

        ~Aryenne
      • goldschp@tds.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2005
          A very good point. PDFs do show up in Google, and Google is capable of full text searches on pdf'd documents, but I've never measured whether it loses anything along the way or not.

          On the back burner for some time has been updating the Slovo indexes (started by Ilyana about 6-7 years ago). If I escalate the updating of the indexes, perhaps that would provide a useful alternative way to search for content.

          -- Paul

          > One thing that may be an issue when using pdf is the matter of online searching.
          > If something is discussed in an article in a past issue of Slovo, and
          > I don't know about it, but I do a Google search on the subject, the
          > relevant Slovo article would turn up in my search. I'm not certain how
          > well that would work with pdfs, as I have in the past run into some
          > trouble when searching for content of pdfs.
          > I use Slovo rather often as a resource I find when doing a general
          > search, so losing that particular capability would be quite a loss, in
          > my opinion.
          >
          > ~Aryenne
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2005
            Personally I read Slovo online, and find .pdf a pain in the backside -
            plugged in to either Firefox OR MSIE, .pdf's take too long to load to be
            comfortable. That said... there's no doubt that PDF would reduce the
            time needed to put out an issue of SLOVO (only one version needed!). I
            could live with it ;-)

            I agree though that better indexing would be needed - the easiest answer
            to that in the short term would probably be to put Google's Site Search
            (free) on the SLOVO website...

            > HTML, however, is on the way out these days, and being
            > rapidly replaced by CSS, and the result is messier and
            > more verbose code.

            Erm, this statement doesn't actually make any sense to me. As the CSS
            Beginner's Guide on the HTMLdog website
            (http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssbeginner/) puts it, ""CSS, or
            'Cascading Styles Sheets' are a way to style HTML. Whereas the HTML is
            the content, the style sheet is the presentation of that document.""

            ttfn

            A.

          • Paul W Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 12, 2005
              At 03:48 AM 6/12/2005, you wrote:
              >I agree though that better indexing would be needed - the easiest answer
              >to that in the short term would probably be to put Google's Site Search
              >(free) on the SLOVO website...

              What does that do?

              > > HTML, however, is on the way out these days, and being
              > > rapidly replaced by CSS, and the result is messier and
              > > more verbose code.
              >
              >Erm, this statement doesn't actually make any sense to me. As the CSS
              >Beginner's Guide on the HTMLdog website
              >(http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssbeginner/) puts it, ""CSS, or
              >'Cascading Styles Sheets' are a way to style HTML. Whereas the HTML is
              >the content, the style sheet is the presentation of that document.""

              It is true that CSS works with HTML, but HTML standalone (there's a version
              number in there - 1.0?) such as used to be the standard for every webpage
              is now "deprecated" and IE and other browsers are seriously talking about
              no longer supporting it fully. This is part of what is motivating me to
              work CSS into the SIG pages. It's a pain, because I don't understand the
              syntax as well and I prefer to hand code (right now, I'm mostly using
              Dreamweaver and WP to do the work for me, but yes, doing the coding by hand
              would make cleaner and more concise code), but I don't want to get to a
              situation where I have a bunch of pages that can't be read by IE. In sum,
              sooner or later, if you are not using CSS with your HTML, the browsers are
              not going to be able to read it. Isn't progress wonderful?

              -- Paul
            • MoxFool@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 14, 2005
                Either way is fine with me. I prefer the online version, since that's what I use most.

                Pan Zygmunt

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 15, 2005
                  Greetings all!

                  > Either way is fine with me. I prefer the online version, since that's what I use most.

                  As for me, I prefer the html version. Slow computers have problems with Adobe products runing along with other programs (that means most of the Russian sector that mostly read the Slovo from their computers at work and never print it, will have problems, too).

                  Bye,
                  Alex.
                • Tom Cerul
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 15, 2005
                    I took a quick look at the last couple of Slovo's and HTML/CSS seems like
                    the perfect tool for the job. Part of my work is writing webpages and I'd be
                    quite happy to assist in the production of the newsletter. I can do the
                    'typesetting', that is, the conversion to HTML/CSS or I am available if you
                    have questions about how to code things. If you are interested, email me
                    some text/ pictures and I'll put together what I can and send it back. (
                    tom.cerul@...)

                    In return though I'm going to start asking a bunch of dumb, newbie questions
                    about the 10th century Rus, like "where can I find patterns?" and "What kind
                    of helmet did they wear and where can I get an image of it to give to an
                    armourer?"

                    [Edit your posts]
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 15, 2005
                      Actually, my evil twin, Anastasia, is doing that for
                      her hubby! I'll pass your email on to her and you two
                      can talk!
                      'dok

                      --- Tom Cerul <tom.cerul@...> wrote:

                      > I took a quick look at the last couple of Slovo's
                      > and HTML/CSS seems like
                      > the perfect tool for the job. Part of my work is
                      > writing webpages and I'd be
                      > quite happy to assist in the production of the
                      > newsletter. I can do the
                      > 'typesetting', that is, the conversion to HTML/CSS
                      > or I am available if you
                      > have questions about how to code things. If you are
                      > interested, email me
                      > some text/ pictures and I'll put together what I can
                      > and send it back. (
                      > tom.cerul@...)
                      >
                      > In return though I'm going to start asking a bunch
                      > of dumb, newbie questions
                      > about the 10th century Rus, like "where can I find
                      > patterns?" and "What kind
                      > of helmet did they wear and where can I get an image
                      > of it to give to an
                      > armourer?"
                      >

                      > [Edit your posts]

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Tom Cerul
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 15, 2005
                        Hey! Modakus! I think I met you on the battlefield at Pennsic 2004 at the
                        end of a field or bridge battle! We talked about Russian garb. I wasn't able
                        to get in touch with you.

                        [Clip your posts]
                      • Lisa Kies
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 19, 2005
                          X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

                          Tom,

                          The Slavic Interest Group's Russian Knowledge Page is always the place to start
                          answering such questions.

                          http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/

                          John Sloan's website, Medieval Russian Armor, is excellent. And Norman
                          Finkelstein's "Armour and Warriors of the Silk Road" is also very helpful.
                          There is a pretty little Osprey book about "Armies of Medieval Russia 750-1250"
                          by David Nicolle which you could also look at.

                          http://www.xenophongi.org/rushistory/medievalarmor/parti.htm - Sloan
                          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3505/ - Finkelstein.

                          My personal Medieval Russian Life page has information both on Men's Clothing
                          in Early Rus, and on early Russian Arms and Armor. Much of what I discuss in
                          my article on 13th and 14th century Russian Arms and Armor also applies to the
                          10th century. (I need to fix the illustrations, however.)

                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia - my Russian material.

                          In service,
                          Sofya la Rus

                          Quoting Tom Cerul <tom.cerul@...>:

                          > In return though I'm going to start asking a bunch of dumb, newbie questions
                          > about the 10th century Rus, like "where can I find patterns?" and "What kind
                          > of helmet did they wear and where can I get an image of it to give to an
                          > armourer?"

                          ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
                          ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
                          ***> www.jumpgate.net <***