RE: Temple ring on E-bay

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
      Kseniia writes...

      > "Russian silver temple ring, circa 1150, Kiev type, [snip]

      The first question of course must relate to the authenticity of the
      object - the fact that it is so similar to one in a catalogue raises the
      question of whether or not it is an imitation. (A "guarantee of
      authenticity" from the vendor is not acceptable, of course - a 3rd party
      assessment might be).

      The second question is the legality of the sale. There is zero
      information above provenance, and since the vendor is apparently a
      Russian in Chicago there must be a suspicion that the item was exported
      illegally from Russia... if not directly looted from a site somewhere by
      a metal detectorist. Nowhere is the legal status of the object defined,
      nor is it explained how it arrived in the USA.

      Please note that grave related items *from the United States* cannot be
      sold on e-Bay.com; e-Bay's persistent unwillingness to prevent the sale
      of antiquities and grave goods from elsewhere has been raising hackles
      among archaeologists (in particular) for quite some time... after all,
      they are in effect encouraging the looting of archaeological sites by
      permitting such material to be sold.

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

    • Kseniia Smolnianina
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
        Good points. I think I just got overexcited. :)

        On a related topic, anyone know who might make decent reproductions in the US?

        --Kseniia

        --
        **********************************
        Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
          There are a lot of good jewelers in the SCA. Most will do custom work. Two
          of the best that I know personally are Fjorlief in Haga (enamelist) and
          William Beornson (silversmith). I have pieces from both of them.

          IS
          Vasilisa Myshkina
          Glymm Mere, An Tir

        • Kseniia Smolnianina
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
            William Beornson is amazing - I just can't afford him. :( Out of
            curiousity, are you the "Vasya" for whom he made the pair of silver
            cuffs? If so, I'd love to see a photo! He was telling me about them
            at an event (Egil's), and pointed out the sources he used for the
            designs.

            -- Kseniia
            Three Mountains, An Tir

            --
            **********************************
            Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
              I can. Do either of them have a website? 'dok

              --- Kseniia Smolnianina <kseniia@...> wrote:

              > William Beornson is amazing - I just can't afford
              > him. :( Out of
              > curiousity, are you the "Vasya" for whom he made the
              > pair of silver
              > cuffs? If so, I'd love to see a photo! He was
              > telling me about them
              > at an event (Egil's), and pointed out the sources he
              > used for the
              > designs.
              >
              > -- Kseniia
              > Three Mountains, An Tir
              >
              > On 6/7/05, bphall76@... <bphall76@...>
              > wrote:
              > > There are a lot of good jewelers in the SCA. Most
              > will do custom work. Two
              > > of the best that I know personally are Fjorlief in
              > Haga (enamelist) and
              > > William Beornson (silversmith). I have pieces
              > from both of them.
              > >
              > > IS
              > > Vasilisa Myshkina
              > > Glymm Mere, An Tir

              > removed]
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > **********************************
              > Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
              > Barony of Three Mountains
              > Note my new e-mail address!

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Mail
            • Kseniia Smolnianina
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                I think this is William's site: http://www.billdawsonmetalsmith.com/

                Vasilisa, does this look like the right site to you?

                Fjorlief's site is: http://www.fineartisanry.com/

                Both are located in the Pacific Northwest.

                --Kseniia

                --
                **********************************
                Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                  There is also Master Danr, who does really great work, primarily with
                  iron, in the Upper Midwest (Minnesota).
                  His website is: http://www.irontreeworks.com/

                  ~Aryenne
                • bphall76@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2005
                    Yup that's me. Fortunately for me Master William takes payments. He also
                    teaches different metal working techniques.

                    IS
                    Vasilisa Myshkina

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 10, 2005
                      Vassya,
                      Are you in the Outlands? I have a good friend also
                      named Master William who moved there from the Middle
                      last year, a metal worker extraordinaire...? Does he
                      wear a maroon hillbilly hat?
                      'dok

                      --- bphall76@... wrote:

                      > Yup that's me. Fortunately for me Master William
                      > takes payments. He also
                      > teaches different metal working techniques.
                      >
                      > IS
                      > Vasilisa Myshkina

                      > removed]

                      Discover Yahoo!