Re: [sig] sarafan trim

  • purplkat@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      I put on bought trim from a local craft store on my cow-print sarafan. It was a 1" wide red/white/black diamond pattern.

      Next one I'm making is going to have 3" red fabric for the hem and 2" wide for the rest. I saw some nice 'oriental' rayon fabric at JoAnns in red with white/pink small flowers on it.

      I also made a plain brown sarafan and put a 'stacked' thin white on wider red bias tape down the center front of it. I then put pewter buttons on top of the tape. The buttons had a simple snowflake design on them.
      Of course this was for wearing at Aethelmaerc events. Their devise is red background with a white escarbunkle (snowflake-like design).

      Katardzyna
      aka Katheryne

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "anyakyle" <anyakyle@h...> wrote:
        > anyone out there into costuming? i'm really perplexed as to what
        kind
        > of trim to use on a sarafan. hand embroidered? what sort of
        > embroidery? bought from a trim merchant? what sort of design? i
        > have so far made two sarafans and have used Japanese braid
        > (kumihimo). it looks good and is hand done but i'm sure it's
        > not 'correct.' and advice?
        >
        > --anya

        Hi Anya,

        For my first sarafan I used wide cloth-of-gold style trim down the
        front and for the straps, the kind that has the wire in it, which I
        of course took out. The cloth I used was blue cotton with little red
        diamonds printed on it. My second sarafan is a blue cotton with a
        design printed on it in a bit darker blue that looks like brocade. I
        put a 2" wide Slavic-style cotton trim in red, yellow and blue. I
        used cotton because I live in Florida and it is damn hot here!! My
        next one will be made from brocade. On Ebay, renaissancefabric has
        lovely brocade and trim. My favorite trim seller is crownrose - she
        sells Viking, Magyar, Slavic and Lapp trim at very reasonable
        prices. Another type of trim that is good for sarafans is braided
        gold cord.

        Nadya