Temple ring on E-bay

  • Kseniia Smolnianina
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      I'm not the vendor, just a sad consumer wanna-be.

      "Russian silver temple ring, circa 1150, Kiev type, diameter 2 in. (5
      cm), partially damaged, identical piece in similar condition is
      illustrated in "The Gold Reserves of the Russian Museum", 1998, No.
      22."

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1215&item=6535696847&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

      If anyone picks this up (for a mere $450) please let us know!

      -- Kseniia
      **********************************
      Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
      Barony of Three Mountains
      Note my new e-mail address!
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
        Kseniia writes...

        > "Russian silver temple ring, circa 1150, Kiev type, [snip]

        The first question of course must relate to the authenticity of the
        object - the fact that it is so similar to one in a catalogue raises the
        question of whether or not it is an imitation. (A "guarantee of
        authenticity" from the vendor is not acceptable, of course - a 3rd party
        assessment might be).

        The second question is the legality of the sale. There is zero
        information above provenance, and since the vendor is apparently a
        Russian in Chicago there must be a suspicion that the item was exported
        illegally from Russia... if not directly looted from a site somewhere by
        a metal detectorist. Nowhere is the legal status of the object defined,
        nor is it explained how it arrived in the USA.

        Please note that grave related items *from the United States* cannot be
        sold on e-Bay.com; e-Bay's persistent unwillingness to prevent the sale
        of antiquities and grave goods from elsewhere has been raising hackles
        among archaeologists (in particular) for quite some time... after all,
        they are in effect encouraging the looting of archaeological sites by
        permitting such material to be sold.

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
        = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

      • Kseniia Smolnianina
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
          Good points. I think I just got overexcited. :)

          On a related topic, anyone know who might make decent reproductions in the US?

          --Kseniia

          --
          **********************************
          Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
            There are a lot of good jewelers in the SCA. Most will do custom work. Two
            of the best that I know personally are Fjorlief in Haga (enamelist) and
            William Beornson (silversmith). I have pieces from both of them.

            IS
            Vasilisa Myshkina
            Glymm Mere, An Tir

          • Kseniia Smolnianina
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
              William Beornson is amazing - I just can't afford him. :( Out of
              curiousity, are you the "Vasya" for whom he made the pair of silver
              cuffs? If so, I'd love to see a photo! He was telling me about them
              at an event (Egil's), and pointed out the sources he used for the
              designs.

              -- Kseniia
              Three Mountains, An Tir

              --
              **********************************
              Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                I can. Do either of them have a website? 'dok

                --- Kseniia Smolnianina <kseniia@...> wrote:

                > William Beornson is amazing - I just can't afford
                > him. :( Out of
                > curiousity, are you the "Vasya" for whom he made the
                > pair of silver
                > cuffs? If so, I'd love to see a photo! He was
                > telling me about them
                > at an event (Egil's), and pointed out the sources he
                > used for the
                > designs.
                >
                > -- Kseniia
                > Three Mountains, An Tir
                >
                > On 6/7/05, bphall76@... <bphall76@...>
                > wrote:
                > > There are a lot of good jewelers in the SCA. Most
                > will do custom work. Two
                > > of the best that I know personally are Fjorlief in
                > Haga (enamelist) and
                > > William Beornson (silversmith). I have pieces
                > from both of them.
                > >
                > > IS
                > > Vasilisa Myshkina
                > > Glymm Mere, An Tir

                > removed]
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > **********************************
                > Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
                > Barony of Three Mountains
                > Note my new e-mail address!

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Mail
              • Kseniia Smolnianina
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                  I think this is William's site: http://www.billdawsonmetalsmith.com/

                  Vasilisa, does this look like the right site to you?

                  Fjorlief's site is: http://www.fineartisanry.com/

                  Both are located in the Pacific Northwest.

                  --Kseniia

                  --
                  **********************************
                  Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 8, 2005
                    There is also Master Danr, who does really great work, primarily with
                    iron, in the Upper Midwest (Minnesota).
                    His website is: http://www.irontreeworks.com/

                    ~Aryenne
                  • bphall76@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2005
                      Yup that's me. Fortunately for me Master William takes payments. He also
                      teaches different metal working techniques.

                      IS
                      Vasilisa Myshkina

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 10, 2005
                        Vassya,
                        Are you in the Outlands? I have a good friend also
                        named Master William who moved there from the Middle
                        last year, a metal worker extraordinaire...? Does he
                        wear a maroon hillbilly hat?
                        'dok

                        --- bphall76@... wrote:

                        > Yup that's me. Fortunately for me Master William
                        > takes payments. He also
                        > teaches different metal working techniques.
                        >
                        > IS
                        > Vasilisa Myshkina

                        > removed]

                        Discover Yahoo!