[jen@destinyslobster.com: RE: onion skin dyes, mordants]

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2005
      Remember we were talking about dyeing with onion skin a while ago, and
      someone asked about mordants? I forwarded the question to our local
      dyeing laurel, and this is the answer I got back:

      Any ones you like! : P

      Alum will give yellows, copper will tint it olivey and iron even moreso. Tin and chrome should make it orangey.

      Factors such as what is being dyed, length of dyeing, and type of onion affect the base color; many will give good oranges without any mordant.

      Jen