Re: Digest Number 1729

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2005
      Yes, thatching could be a serious project. Using bales I had
      envisioned running some lines back and forth across the roof and
      then stuffing them with hay squares....that is pealing 2-3 inch
      thick 'squares' like tiles from the bale. Sometimes the squares
      come off neat but it does not matter much if they do not. Of
      course this would produce a minimal-quality product. However, If I
      was really going to do this, it would more likely be for something
      like a renfair or as a seasonal backyard playhouse that stays up for
      six weeks-plus which would justify a better thatching job or even a
      cedar shake roof.

      -Rick

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, mir.plemmons@g... wrote:
      > On thatching, if you were *really* invested in doing this: you
      thatch in bundles, a big handful of straw that you tie together near
      one end (leave a few inches). You then tie each bundle right next
      to the previous one over your horizontal poles. Think a bunch of
      round brooms squeezed together. That shrub look you see in cottage
      photos is only because people trim their thatch. If you were doing
      a setup-takedown, you *could* stitch these rows to burlap instead of
      a pole and spread the burlap over your framing but it'd be such a
      huge thing to transport regardless of whether you prep the bundles
      (and don't think you're going to get thatch from bales either -
      you'll be grabbing a handful, scything and tying like your persona's
      serfs). I've thatched with long grass, had a lovely day and left it
      up for a season but can't imagine thatching 20 times in one year.

      > What I want to do is to make a fake roof like a bamboo mat or one
      of those Ikea bed frames with the slats stapled to strapping. I can
      get cedar strips a couple of inches long by 5-6 feet, and I've seen
      Rus roofs that were one long skinny board/shingle with the lower tip
      cut leaf or onion dome style. I figure I can staple these flush
      with each other to strapping and roll up the slat "roof" like those
      tables, and lay it out on a framework over my *real* roof.. (Mind
      you, this tourney season will probably only see the inside done...
      this is a big project).