Introduction with Questions

  • Jeremy J. Slick
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2005
      Greetings Unto One and All!

      I am best known in the SCA as Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi,
      from the Shire of Deodar (Kingdom of Calontir). I am also the local
      pursuivant for the Shires of Deodar and La Grande Tente, a member of
      the Academy of St. Gabriel, and heraldry student to HE Master Modar
      Neznanich. Aside from this, I am also a member of Clan Blue Feather,
      House ORU, House Leatherwolf, and an official groupie to An Clarsach
      Briste (The Broken Harp Inn). My SCA interests are: costuming,
      heraldry, glass bead making, herbalism, target archery, and rapier
      combat (sidesword research).

      Now, what brings me to SIG? Well, I've recently dug around in my
      thought processes and developed a persona history (barely) that
      incorporates an alternate persona. Here's what I've got:

      Giudo is the son of a textile/spice merchant in 1450's Florence, Italy
      who spends some time working in an apothecary shop. Since he is
      mobile, unlike his father, he travels to various regions to ply the
      family trade. During his travels, he finds himself spending a great
      deal of time in what is now Kiev. While in Kiev, he goes by the name
      of Mishka Lamanov (since he's probably hiding from the Medici court in
      the process).

      So, with what little I have for a persona history, I've now got the
      following questions:

      1) Does anyone have some costuming links for garb native to Kiev or
      the Ukraine circa 1420-1460?

      2) Does anyone have any information regarding Italian/Russian
      relations during the 15th century?

      Until the next time,
      Giudo di Niccolo / Mishka
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2005
        X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

        Mishka,
        Welcome! You should to go to the SIG website and its Russian Knowledge Page to
        start looking for the information you seek.

        http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/

        Sofya la Rus
        Shire of Herald's Hill

        ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
        ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
        ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
      • Jeremy Slick
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2005
          Ah! Sofya, a name I recognize. But if I remember
          correctly, you will not be making it to Crown
          Tournament this weekend...? Will you be attending
          Lilies? Actually, will there be a group going to
          Lilies that might be willing to educate a
          Florentine-going-Ukrainian?

          And thank you for the weblink, Sofya. I will bookmark
          that and peruse it after Crown Tournament is done; I
          will be so happy to have "free-time" back for a few
          days before I start going into Lilies Prep mode.

          Until the next time,
          Mishka

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • purplkat@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2005
            Sidesword research??

            At Coronation I was talking to a gentle who suggested I talk to you about your research.
            Unfortunately due to my swiss-cheese memory I forgot your name imediately.(SIGH).

            I would like to start talking to you - off-list of course - about this.

            Lady Katheryne

            Greetings Unto One and All!
            I am best known in the SCA as Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi,
            from the Shire of Deodar (Kingdom of Calontir).

            <SNIP>
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2005
              X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

              I have a family event this weekend keeping me from Crown Tourney, alas. But I
              will be at Lilies, and I've heard rumors of at least a couple of other SIG
              Russians planning to be at Lilies as well. So I'm sure we'll see you there.

              Good luck this weekend!
              Sofya