Re: [sig] WOW!

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2005
      Alexey!

      Thanks so much for the find. I'm taking a stab at the translation, but
      it's quite long and may take a while. I have already run the entire text
      through BabelFish (and if anyone is chomping at the bit, they can try
      that). But I'll attempt a more complete translation and post it here in a
      month or two.

      I'd love to publish it in Slovo, but I suspect that I'd violate copyright
      if I did that so we'll have to settle with unofficial translations.

      -- Paul

      At 08:22 AM 4/28/2005, you wrote:
      >Folks, reading Russian: HOORAY!
      >
      >http://www.booksite.ru/fulltext/3ki/ril/lov/7.htm
      >
      >Vologda State University and Kirillo-Belozerov Historic&Art Reserve
      >Regional Study Almanac, Issue 3.
      >Vologda, Legia, 1998.
      >G.V.Sudakov, "Monastery Kitchen in the XVI Century".
    • Tom Cerul
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2005
        On 3 May 2005 at 16:38, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik wrote:
        > Greetings!
        > >
        > > > Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>
        > > >
        > > > Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...
        > >
        > > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
        >
        > sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
        *lurker decloak*

        Alex, the Russian speaking part of livejournal or the
        russian interested? Is there a community or specific
        interest? (English speaking would be wonderful.)
      • Alastair Millar
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2005
          Paul writes...

          > I have already run the entire text through BabelFish

          *shudder*. I hope you've washed your mouth out with soap and water after
          saying things like that *grin*

          > But I'll attempt a more complete translation and post
          > it here in a month or two.
          >
          > I'd love to publish it in Slovo, but I suspect that I'd
          > violate copyright if I did that so we'll have to settle
          > with unofficial translations.

          I hate to drop a spanner in the works, but whether you post it on the
          list or in Slovo makes no difference - both options count as "electronic
          publication", and are therefore subject to copyright laws.

          I'm not sure what the law is in Russia, but here in .cz (based afaik on
          WTO rules) copyright to the translation lies with the translator, not
          the author - which, however, does not mean that permission should not be
          sought before distributing such a translation.

          However, if you were to approach the author, I'm sure he'd be absolutely
          delighted to receive a free translation of the publication! (It would be
          FAR less expensive for him to polish up even a poor/amateur translation
          than to commission a new translation from scratch - bear in mind that
          most academic papers will normally need extra grant funding to be
          published in foreign languages - and even halfway decent translation
          ain't cheap).

          If you retain the copyright, you can then publish it in Slovo or
          anywhere else, as long as the source is cited - and you could always
          agree as part of the deal to allow him to publish the translation or
          parts thereof wherever else he likes.

          I would have thought that a polite letter or e-mail (in Russian)
          explaining why the subject is of interest and making the offer would be
          very unlikely to be turned down; it does, after all, appeal directly to
          the author's vanity!

          Cheers

          Alastair

          Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
          = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2005
            Greetings!

            > > > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
            > >
            > > sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
            > *lurker decloak*
            >
            > Alex, the Russian speaking part of livejournal or the
            > russian interested? Is there a community or specific
            > interest? (English speaking would be wonderful.)

            The Russian-speaking. Most guys from RU. and SU. conferences I talked to in FIDO back in 1990s, now have their pages at Livejournal. Some FIDO conferences have got their twins in LJ: SU.HISTORY, RU.FANTASY, etc. The link I gave you I received from a Russian-speaking cooking community kitchen_nax (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=kitchen_nax ), when looking for a reference to monastery household books. They also gave me some more community names I would like to dig into, for more info.

            The English-speaking LJ lives separately, I simply don't know what goes on there.

            Bye,
            Aex.