Re[2]: [sig] Re: WOW!

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2005
      Greetings!

      > > Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>
      > >
      > > Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...
      >
      > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.

      sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2005
        Alexey!

        Thanks so much for the find. I'm taking a stab at the translation, but
        it's quite long and may take a while. I have already run the entire text
        through BabelFish (and if anyone is chomping at the bit, they can try
        that). But I'll attempt a more complete translation and post it here in a
        month or two.

        I'd love to publish it in Slovo, but I suspect that I'd violate copyright
        if I did that so we'll have to settle with unofficial translations.

        -- Paul

        At 08:22 AM 4/28/2005, you wrote:
        >Folks, reading Russian: HOORAY!
        >
        >http://www.booksite.ru/fulltext/3ki/ril/lov/7.htm
        >
        >Vologda State University and Kirillo-Belozerov Historic&Art Reserve
        >Regional Study Almanac, Issue 3.
        >Vologda, Legia, 1998.
        >G.V.Sudakov, "Monastery Kitchen in the XVI Century".
      • Tom Cerul
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2005
          On 3 May 2005 at 16:38, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik wrote:
          > Greetings!
          > >
          > > > Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>
          > > >
          > > > Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...
          > >
          > > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
          >
          > sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
          *lurker decloak*

          Alex, the Russian speaking part of livejournal or the
          russian interested? Is there a community or specific
          interest? (English speaking would be wonderful.)
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2005
            Paul writes...

            > I have already run the entire text through BabelFish

            *shudder*. I hope you've washed your mouth out with soap and water after
            saying things like that *grin*

            > But I'll attempt a more complete translation and post
            > it here in a month or two.
            >
            > I'd love to publish it in Slovo, but I suspect that I'd
            > violate copyright if I did that so we'll have to settle
            > with unofficial translations.

            I hate to drop a spanner in the works, but whether you post it on the
            list or in Slovo makes no difference - both options count as "electronic
            publication", and are therefore subject to copyright laws.

            I'm not sure what the law is in Russia, but here in .cz (based afaik on
            WTO rules) copyright to the translation lies with the translator, not
            the author - which, however, does not mean that permission should not be
            sought before distributing such a translation.

            However, if you were to approach the author, I'm sure he'd be absolutely
            delighted to receive a free translation of the publication! (It would be
            FAR less expensive for him to polish up even a poor/amateur translation
            than to commission a new translation from scratch - bear in mind that
            most academic papers will normally need extra grant funding to be
            published in foreign languages - and even halfway decent translation
            ain't cheap).

            If you retain the copyright, you can then publish it in Slovo or
            anywhere else, as long as the source is cited - and you could always
            agree as part of the deal to allow him to publish the translation or
            parts thereof wherever else he likes.

            I would have thought that a polite letter or e-mail (in Russian)
            explaining why the subject is of interest and making the offer would be
            very unlikely to be turned down; it does, after all, appeal directly to
            the author's vanity!

            Cheers

            Alastair

            Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
            = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2005
              Greetings!

              > > > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
              > >
              > > sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
              > *lurker decloak*
              >
              > Alex, the Russian speaking part of livejournal or the
              > russian interested? Is there a community or specific
              > interest? (English speaking would be wonderful.)

              The Russian-speaking. Most guys from RU. and SU. conferences I talked to in FIDO back in 1990s, now have their pages at Livejournal. Some FIDO conferences have got their twins in LJ: SU.HISTORY, RU.FANTASY, etc. The link I gave you I received from a Russian-speaking cooking community kitchen_nax (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=kitchen_nax ), when looking for a reference to monastery household books. They also gave me some more community names I would like to dig into, for more info.

              The English-speaking LJ lives separately, I simply don't know what goes on there.

              Bye,
              Aex.