Re: WOW!

  • Michael Suggs
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2005
      Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>

      Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...

      --Michael
      <KITSCA as Mikhail Novgorodets>

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      <Posadnik@m...> wrote:

      > Greetings!
      >
      > Folks, reading Russian: HOORAY!
      >
      > http://www.booksite.ru/fulltext/3ki/ril/lov/7.htm
      >
      > Vologda State University and Kirillo-Belozerov Historic&Art Reserve
      Regional Study Almanac, Issue 3.
      > Vologda, Legia, 1998.
      > G.V.Sudakov, "Monastery Kitchen in the XVI Century".
      >
      > The first direct reference to monastery accounting books that
      states the range of foods used in monasteries (Kirillo-Belozerovsky
      Monastery was of much importance in Moscovite Russia)/ It speaks of
      published and unpublished Obikhodniks (household books) of
      monasteries, usually included into the Monastery regulations.

      > It's a breakthru, ya bet. It IS a research publication to start SCA-
      Russian _documented_ kitchen a century earlier than the Domostroy.
      Maybe in summer (sorry, by end May I am to do 60 pages translation)
      I'll translate it and re-post teh text, if nobody does it before.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2005
        Greetings!

        > Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>
        >
        > Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...

        www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2005
          Greetings!

          > > Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>
          > >
          > > Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...
          >
          > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.

          sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
        • Paul W Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2005
            Alexey!

            Thanks so much for the find. I'm taking a stab at the translation, but
            it's quite long and may take a while. I have already run the entire text
            through BabelFish (and if anyone is chomping at the bit, they can try
            that). But I'll attempt a more complete translation and post it here in a
            month or two.

            I'd love to publish it in Slovo, but I suspect that I'd violate copyright
            if I did that so we'll have to settle with unofficial translations.

            -- Paul

            At 08:22 AM 4/28/2005, you wrote:
            >Folks, reading Russian: HOORAY!
            >
            >http://www.booksite.ru/fulltext/3ki/ril/lov/7.htm
            >
            >Vologda State University and Kirillo-Belozerov Historic&Art Reserve
            >Regional Study Almanac, Issue 3.
            >Vologda, Legia, 1998.
            >G.V.Sudakov, "Monastery Kitchen in the XVI Century".
          • Tom Cerul
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2005
              On 3 May 2005 at 16:38, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik wrote:
              > Greetings!
              > >
              > > > Oooooh! [read read read] <drooling>
              > > >
              > > > Alex, where did you find/find out about this? Good stuff...
              > >
              > > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
              >
              > sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
              *lurker decloak*

              Alex, the Russian speaking part of livejournal or the
              russian interested? Is there a community or specific
              interest? (English speaking would be wonderful.)
            • Alastair Millar
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2005
                Paul writes...

                > I have already run the entire text through BabelFish

                *shudder*. I hope you've washed your mouth out with soap and water after
                saying things like that *grin*

                > But I'll attempt a more complete translation and post
                > it here in a month or two.
                >
                > I'd love to publish it in Slovo, but I suspect that I'd
                > violate copyright if I did that so we'll have to settle
                > with unofficial translations.

                I hate to drop a spanner in the works, but whether you post it on the
                list or in Slovo makes no difference - both options count as "electronic
                publication", and are therefore subject to copyright laws.

                I'm not sure what the law is in Russia, but here in .cz (based afaik on
                WTO rules) copyright to the translation lies with the translator, not
                the author - which, however, does not mean that permission should not be
                sought before distributing such a translation.

                However, if you were to approach the author, I'm sure he'd be absolutely
                delighted to receive a free translation of the publication! (It would be
                FAR less expensive for him to polish up even a poor/amateur translation
                than to commission a new translation from scratch - bear in mind that
                most academic papers will normally need extra grant funding to be
                published in foreign languages - and even halfway decent translation
                ain't cheap).

                If you retain the copyright, you can then publish it in Slovo or
                anywhere else, as long as the source is cited - and you could always
                agree as part of the deal to allow him to publish the translation or
                parts thereof wherever else he likes.

                I would have thought that a polite letter or e-mail (in Russian)
                explaining why the subject is of interest and making the offer would be
                very unlikely to be turned down; it does, after all, appeal directly to
                the author's vanity!

                Cheers

                Alastair

                Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
                = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

              • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2005
                  Greetings!

                  > > > www.lifejournal.com , Russian part. Most of FIDOnet migrated there.
                  > >
                  > > sorry, - http://www.livejournal.com/
                  > *lurker decloak*
                  >
                  > Alex, the Russian speaking part of livejournal or the
                  > russian interested? Is there a community or specific
                  > interest? (English speaking would be wonderful.)

                  The Russian-speaking. Most guys from RU. and SU. conferences I talked to in FIDO back in 1990s, now have their pages at Livejournal. Some FIDO conferences have got their twins in LJ: SU.HISTORY, RU.FANTASY, etc. The link I gave you I received from a Russian-speaking cooking community kitchen_nax (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=kitchen_nax ), when looking for a reference to monastery household books. They also gave me some more community names I would like to dig into, for more info.

                  The English-speaking LJ lives separately, I simply don't know what goes on there.

                  Bye,
                  Aex.