Has anyone read this book, and is it any good?

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
      Hi all,
      I've just found out about the book "Prehistoric Lithuania", which
      covers archaeological finds up to the 12th century. I'd love to buy
      it, but I'm a full-time starving uni student and don't want to spend
      lots of money to find out it's a dud.

      So, has anyone seen this book, and thinks it's good/bad/average?
      I can't find anything on the mailing list, or by googling so I'm not
      holding my breath but I'd value some opinions before I work out how to
      buy it.

      Thanks in advance,
      Asfridhr/Rebecca

      (Book is available here:
      http://www.balticshop.com/item.msql?item=10821&cat=0302&title=History_)
    • susannah53
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@h...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I've just found out about the book "Prehistoric Lithuania", which
        > covers archaeological finds up to the 12th century. I'd love to buy
        > it, but I'm a full-time starving uni student and don't want to spend
        > lots of money to find out it's a dud.
        Have you tried Interlibrary Loan? Don't know where you're located,
        but I'm in Ohio, and the librarians at our library bend over backwards
        to help me get books. If it's not in the the state library system,
        they will look further afield. When I was looking for 60 Score of
        Easter Eggs (the quintessential pysanky book) they found it in a
        Florida library!
      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
          I wish it was that easy, looking on the Australia-wide library
          database it isn't there.
          I'm generally inclined to give up when I can only find a copy of it in
          Europe since the postage alone generally is what drives the price of
          these things up. The balticshop.com copy at $40AUS including postage
          is cheap enough, in a general sense, that it is extremely tempting to
          buy it for myself. That, and it's written in English which is
          extra-exciting for me.

          Sorry I'm so negative, but it was difficult enough convincing my
          library to order in the only copy of a book in Australia from
          interstate, let alone trying to track down a book from overseas.

          ~Asfridhr