9065Re: [sig] Re: Irena Turnau, rather Bartkiewicz

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Jul 26, 2004
      > that depends on weather the photographer retained rights to the image or weather they
      > signed any sort of agreement with the museum the museum owns the property but retains
      > no copyright on it either way then the second post is true that its just a matter of finding
      > other images

      In the US, at least, pictures, including photographs, are intellectual
      property and copyrighted to either the person taking them, or, if it is 'a
      work made for hire' to the organization who hired them to take the
      photographs. (If the thing being photographed is also a work of
      intellectual property, such as a statue, etc. that is within its copyright
      term, there may be other issues for the photographer.)

      So, the picture is copyright to the maker of the picture, though the
      original artifact is out of copyright. As a result, copyright permission
      is needed if you are going to use someone else's picture of an artifact.

      "Oh, don't blame yourself, Mrs. Ogg. I'm sure others will do that for
      you--" Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic