847Re: wedding folksongs

  • Jenn Ridley
    Nov 3, 1999
      Kevin Brock wrote:

      >While I've been lurking on this list for a while to simply have all the
      >circulating info get soaked into my head, I thought I might actually have a
      >chance to help out with this comment. If I'm not mistaken, Albert died in
      >1861 and Queen Victoria mourned for approx. 40 years or so and began the
      >fashion of widows wearing black for mourning attire and jewelry. I'm not
      >quite sure how it spread to others, but I think that's the answer as far as
      >European widows are concerned.

      Except that English women/families wore black for mourning before
      Victoria was even born. There are extant fashion plates showing "full
      mourning" and "half mourning" from 1794. With jet beads and crosses,
      too. (there are probably earlier ones, too, but that was the earliest
      I found in a quick search of my bookmarks.)

      stasia
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic