7869Re: [sig] Folklore (was Re: Digest Number 1219)

  • Vaclav von Pressburg
    Jul 10, 2003
      On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 10:06:21PM +0400, Alexey Kiyaikin wrote:
      . . .
      > Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
      > do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
      > false? What immigrants changed THEM?

      It's not just the immigration, but the passage of time and the
      availability of new ingredients. These recipes are preserved and
      passed on because they are loved. They become changed because they
      are subject to the creative tendencies of the various generations of
      cooks who learned them by imitating their parents.

      "False" is the wrong word -- they are changed because of entropy.

      I have a small book that I picked up in college that I was looking
      at several months ago (and of course I can't find it right now).
      It was published in Moscow in the 1950's and the title is approximately
      "Exercises in Historical Russian Grammar" (cost 50 kopeks!) When
      I bought it I was only interested in historical desinences, but I
      recently wanted to look at what the author had to say about the
      development of phonology. In the section where the author talks
      about the Common Slavic *v in Russian, he says that this was
      pronounced as a semi-vowel (like the English "w"), which he writes
      as a Cyrillic "u" (looks like Roman "y") with a breve over it. He
      gives the various developments in the different Eastern Slavic
      languages and points out one Russian oblast where he says that "at
      the current time" all "v", both initial and final, are pronounced
      as "w".

      Does such a dialect still exist after all these years of unified
      national school curriculum? If it does, what does that imply about the
      extent of this characteristic in the mostly unreported dialects of
      150 or 200 years ago?

      What is not written will change. What is written might be wrong, but
      it can be preserved as a witness of someone's observations at the
      time that it was written.

      --
      Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
      vaclav@...