7684Re: [sig] Re: a million rus questions

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Jun 16, 2003
      > Without searching through some old references, did not the Poles
      > elect a Swedish King to rule on several occations? Surly this had
      > some effect on culture, including dress.

      Dunno... the Swedish invasion of Poland was after my period of study!
      However, Jadwiga (who was Hungarian but of the House of Anjou) apparently
      brought some very western influences with her when she came to Poland; and
      Jagiello brought some Lithuanian influences, it is said.

      The most famous monarch issue in Poland is Queen Bona Sforza; she brought
      Italian influence to the fore in Poland when she became queen. Most
      instances of Italian influence in Polish culture are traced to the period
      when she was queen, but since that was also the beginning of the 100 years
      of serious grain trade between Poland and Italy, there may have been heavy
      economic and trade influences as well.

      "We made a vow/we'd always be friends
      How could we know/ that promises end?" Eric Clapton
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic