7679Re[2]: [sig] a million rus questions

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Jun 16, 2003
      > jfn> *sigh* I'm not the original poster, but there's a very strong trend in
      > jfn> historiography to believe that around the millenium the ruling class in
      > jfn> Russia was Scandinavian, which would definitely lead to a very strong
      > jfn> influence on the culture at that time!
      > Oh my, Jadwiga, what the , ergm, historiography did you put ruling
      > class's (argueable at least) origins and the popular clothes type into
      > the same bowl? I can't imagine the picture Levi Strauss's garb being
      > popular in, say, Florida several decades after the vere pattern was
      > invented. No ruling class could greatly change the national costumes'
      > pattern (even in decades or centuries) if it was completely different.
      > They could change fashion but not the national costume.

      The notion of 'national costume' is generally considered by Western
      costume historians to be 17th and 18th century in origin, which is very
      frustrating for those of us researching West Slavic cultures-- since it
      means that the national and regional costume books aren't all that much
      help. This again may be a translation issue-- the phrase 'national
      costume' means one thing to these costume historians and may mean another
      thing to you.

      Olga Sronkova's book on 16th to 18th century fashions, specifically
      centering on Bohemia, is an interesting work talking about the adoption of
      Spanish Renaissance costume in Bohemia, etc. in the 16th century.

      I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the Florida reference?

      > I'm sure he meant that he didn't believe those Russians borrowed the pattern
      > and not invented it themselves or took from the common indo-european
      > source of patterns.

      I've always found it curious that there is a similarity between the
      'traditional' polygonal overdress with straps that is considered
      postperiod for Russia and the Viking apron-dress... but because we do have
      some pictures from the intervening period, it seems clear that there is no
      direct connection. So both could have come out of one single impulse at
      different times.

      "In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
      floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic