7652Re: [sig] a million rus questions

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Jun 12, 2003
      > I am not an expert on Medieval clothing, but it seems unrealistic to me to
      > assume that Scandinavian shirt-making and couture made a stong influence on
      > the analogous industry in Russia, which was not in need of any upgrading,
      > being well-suited to its own environment. If the new clothing style or
      > making method was somehow superior or better suited to the local tastes and
      > environment, then you could assume it to make an influence over the
      > local clothing, inferior for specific reasons.

      Why? People make clothes not merely because of function. They make clothes
      because of how they want to look or how they want to look to other people.

      > that Russia
      > did not appear with the comming of the Rurik princes. It was there for
      > centuries before them. This means the Scandinavians did not bring any new
      > breakthroughs in clothing to Russia.

      Um? Where did that come from?
      Just because a culture exists for centuries doesn't say anything about
      what clothes become fashionable.

      Period fashion shows this over and oer again

      > In your examples of American and Islamic fashion, you try to equate recent
      > views on fashion to those of Medieval times.

      Huh? The Islamic example is period. Not recent. It's the persian book that
      was pictured in the Mongol exhibit.

      The Lansknecht example is period. Really. SIXTEENTH CENTURY.

      Which can, in fact be shown by the spread of the various late-period
      clothing styles. In Poland there was significant Italian influence when
      the italians were major players; in the Lowlands there was 'Spanish
      Renaissance' when the Spanish were major players.

      >In those days what set nobles
      > apart from peasants was not the style or fad of clothing
      > (what the other cool guys wore) but the wealth and richness of decorations,
      > the colors, and the presence of certain elements, like fur, gold, exquisite
      > patterns of design, etc, IMO.

      However the informed opinions of people who ARE experts on medieval
      clothing, which I have studied, do say that medieval clothing fashions
      were influenced by cultural change in the ruling classes. The clothing
      literature is full of these examples. I already gave TWO, pre-17th century
      examples, there are others in the spread of Norman fashions in England
      after the Norman conquest.

      Furthermore, technological changes (See "Cut my cote" for examples)
      sometimes spread from newer to older civilizations.

      "In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
      floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic