7651Re: [sig] a million rus questions

  • goldschp@mailbag.com
    Jun 12, 2003
      > example, the linguistic influence: There are 10 or fewer words of
      > Scandinavian origin in the Russian language, while almost all Rurik dynasty
      > princes in Kiev and other towns had Slavic names and spoke Russian.

      What language did they speak? It wasn't Norse, but I'd be a bit hard pressed
      to call it "Russian."

      Also, where does your cite for 10 or fewer loan words from Scandinavia come
      from? In what time period? From which countries?

      Your point may be valid but you're exagerrating and playing fast and loose
      with your factoids.

      -- Paul
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic