7647Re: [sig] a million rus questions

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Jun 12, 2003
      > > Given that there was a strong Scandinavian influence among the Rus at that
      > > time, ... [snip]
      >
      > I would disagree on that.
      > Could you please clarify what you consider "strong" Scandinavian influence
      > among the Russians, and especially in the context of clothing. This appears
      > as if the Russians' own clothing style or methods of making it was somehow
      > inferior to that of Scandinavian immigrants', which I find hard to believe.

      *sigh* I'm not the original poster, but there's a very strong trend in
      historiography to believe that around the millenium the ruling class in
      Russia was Scandinavian, which would definitely lead to a very strong
      influence on the culture at that time!

      To say that there was a very strong influence of X on Y at a given time is
      not to say that the original Y is inferior-- consider the influence of
      modern American fashions on the fashion cultures of other countries. Ugly,
      badly made American clothes become popular as a fad even though they are
      inferior to what people would wear normally. I'm not sure where you get
      the implication of inferiority there.

      Or, for instance, consider the islamic minatures that portray famous
      islamic persons in Mongol garb, which were created when those islamic
      countries were under the rule of the Mongols.

      In particular, if you look at Western medieval culture, you see the later
      Renaissance fashion that is known as 'puff and slash' which is an
      adaptation of the peculiar dress of Landsknecht mercenaries. This is
      equivalent to the rich white american boys who dress in the clothing made
      fashionable by "homeboys from the 'hood"-- for the rich young men and
      women were dressing in fashion that was made famous by mercenary soldiers
      considered bloodthirsty, brutish barbarians.

      "In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
      floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic