6023Re: [sig] Druzhina

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Jun 2, 2002
      In a message dated 6/2/2002 11:38:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
      nadjabear@... writes:

      > Anybody out there have an idea of how big a Princely Druzhina would
      > be? Are we talking a large group of body guards, or an army?

      More like a company, definitely not an army. When Alexander Nevsky fought the
      Teutonic Knights on Lake Peipus, he had mustered the Novgorodian volunteers.

      The size probably depended 1) on the wealth of the Prince, 2) on his
      reputation, 3) on what a city would allow. While most cities didn't have much
      say in this, Novgorod and Pskov had specific rules and laws on what a Prince
      (kniaz) was allowed to do. They would have frowned on an army taking over the
      city. Besides, they had to fit into the prince's fortress.