      From: Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>
      To: sig <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 10:45 am
      Subject: Re: [sig] Russian mead per The Domostroi

      My apologies for the formatting... Let me try again

      I was doing research on mead in Russia, and was using The Domostroi (edited and translated by Carolyn Johnston Pouncy) as a reference. While I’m sure we’re all familiar with The Domostroi, I noticed a very interesting trend.
      The different mead recipes listed, in order are:

      Boiled mead
      White mead
      Honey mead
      Ordinary mead
      Boyars’ mead

      The Boiled mead recipe says to combine seven parts water to one part honey, and to boil until it is reduced by half. None of the other recipes have you boil the must. First, we have to accept that when you boil must, the water evaporates and the honey does not. Given that; when a 7:1 ratio of honey and water is reduced to a total of four parts, the mixture is now three parts water to one part honey.

      Assuming we accept that the Boiled mead has a final ratio of 3:1, here are the ratios of water to honey in each of the recipes, in order of how they are listed in The Domostroi.

      Boiled mead  3:1
      White mead  4:1
      Honey mead  5:1
      Ordinary mead  6:1
      Boyars’ mead  6:1 then sweetened with honey after fermentation

      I was pleasantly, and happily, surprised that the mead recipes were so clearly ranked and classified

      -Halbrust
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic