      From: Lisa Kies <lkies319@...>
      To: sig <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm
      Subject: Re: [sig] Kievan Royal titles

      During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
      used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
      rulers in the Bible.

      From the Russian primary chronicle:

      988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
      here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

      During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
      family.

      The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
      Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

      http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

      But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
      Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

      At your service,

      Sofya

      On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

      > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
      > used in the 10th century :o)
      >
      > -Halbrust

      Lisa M. Kies, MD
      Eagle Family Health
      Nora Springs, IA 50458
      www.eaglefamilyhealth.com

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      {o,o}
      "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
      (__(|
      "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et