16015Re: [sig] Birch bark letters

    Apr 18 9:58 AM
      Thank you! Does anyone have any sources of birch bark suitable for embossing with a stylus for purchase?
      'dok

      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

      -------- Original message --------
      Subject: Re: [sig] Birch bark letters
      From: Anya Stickney <anyas5@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      CC:

      "Drevnia Rus Byt i Kultura" has 1 page of pictures and 10 pages of
      descriptions about birch bark letters. Here are the highlights of the 1st
      paragraph ...

      1. Preparation: After rubbing off the brittle bits from the inside, boil
      with alkalines to give the bark more elasticity. But there are many
      examples of reusing unworked bark as well.

      2. Writing was done with a bone or metal stylus. (This is what Her Highness
      Ian'ka said). Out of 885 letters found, only 2 have ink. The styluses were
      used for both birch bark and tablets. The writing was done with the
      sharpened pointed end, and the wide flattened end was used to smooth out
      the written area to correct mistakes.

      Let me know if you'd like more info about the book.

      Lady Anya Sergeeva