15991Re: [sig] Alcohol in Russia in the 10th and 11th century

    Mar 29, 2013
      Just ordered a copy of Culinaria Russia! Any ideas where a copy of R. Roberts hop paper could be acquired? I just built a hop yard for my mundane brewing and would love to expand it in future days! Thanks!
      -dok

      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

      -------- Original message --------
      Subject: Re: [sig] Alcohol in Russia in the 10th and 11th century
      From: aldo <turanomar@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      CC:

      One of my source for such topics which I may suggest is:

      CULINARIA RUSSIA, by Marion TRUTTER (edit.) Tandem Verlag GmbH 2006

      Some more:

      Food Culture in Russia and Central Asia, by Glenn R. Mack & Asele Surina,
      Westport Conn. 2005
      V. Pohliobkin - Nacional'nye kuhni nasih narodov, Moskva 2009

      As far as Humulus lupulus (hop) is concerned the sole study (complete and
      fully documented) is R. Kobert's thereupon (Dorpat Univ.). The first peoples
      to use hop to give a new taste to beer were the Finno-ugrians of the Upper
      Volga-Kama while this use firstly appeared in Western Europe roughly by the
      Barbarians epoch (AD VIII cent.). HUMULUS which was the Latin name for Hop
      comes from Tchuvash hemla, Finn. humala Hung. komlò and still today the
      European largest exporter of Hop for beer is the Republic of Tscuvasha not
      far from Moscow.
      Could it be of any use to u?