      From: Lisa Kies <lkies319@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, June 29, 2010 7:20:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [sig] How do I wrap leggings?

      Greetings from Sofya to Petr!

      On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Petr <gnomepete@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to at least have one set of close-to-fully-accurate-looking
      > garb - with leggings (obmotki). I have found a site that tells how to wrap
      > (relatively) modern puttees, but not obmotki. Puttees are rolled, then
      > unrolled - starting 6" up the shin - double wrapped at the ankle, then just
      > rolled up the calf. I would then use rawhide (wrapped criss-cross) from the
      > ankle and tied just below the knee.
      >
      > If anyone knows any better way to do this PLEASE let me know.
      >
      > Thanks. . .
      >
      > Petr Kotok

      I wear my leg wraps (onuchi) over knee-length nogovitsy (hosen) made of wool
      or linen left over from other garments. The leg wraps are 3-3.5 inches
      wide and 2-3 yards long.

      Keeping onuchi on can be a trick, especially when made of linen or smooth
      wools, instead of fuzzy wools which stick to themselves better. For me, the
      keys to keeping leg wraps on:

      - Wrap from the top down - the lower wraps lock in the upper wraps.
      - Wrap over *snug* nogovitsy. The wraps slide less on fabric than on bare
      skin. (The nogovitsy need to be a little snug so they won't slide, either. )

      - Gartors or the long laces add extra security.

      The black leather lacings (povorozi) should be tied twice at the top. That
      is to say, once you've criss-crossed up to just below the knee, you tie a
      non-slip knot, then take the laces around to the other side of the leg and
      tie another knot. This forms a fixed loop that should be too small to slide
      down to your ankles.

      And this is how Mordak puts on his socks:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBf-IwpgYeo

      I hope this helps.

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser