14468Re: [sig] confused and Oct event

  • Patoodle@aol.com
    Aug 17, 2009
      Hi, Raven and Magdalena --

      I have been meaning to respond, but I had to find my scanned images first. I just put two scanned images from that book into a new folder called "Lithuania" into the Photos section of the SIG group. However, the images are awaiting the moderator's approval.

      One image is of Elzbieta Habsburgaite and the other is of Barbora Radvilaite. ("Nezinomas dailininkas" appearently means "unknown artist" in Lithuanian.")

      The same portrait of Elzbieta?as the book appears on this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_of_Austria_(1526%E2%80%931545).

      A different portrait of Barbara Radziwill is on her Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Radziwill. None of the illustrations on that page are from the SCA period, however!!

      Finally, check out this group of portraits of the Jagellonian family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jagiellon_Family.jpg. The painting in the upper right-hand corner (Barbara R.) is also in Guzeviciute's book.

      I'll keep the October 10th East Kingdom event in mind -- it's not that far from me -- BUT I might have to use that day for travel to California for my employer's annual meeting.

      Take care,

      Patricia of Trakai

      From: panimagdalena56 <nunother56@...>
      Subject: [sig] Re: confused
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, August 14, 2009, 7:14 AM

      ?

      Hi Raven. I have been following your posts about 15th century Lithuanian women's
      clothing. If anyone has the pictures from the class at Pennsic I would very much
      like to see them. Maybe someone could set them up in a folder for us?

      Lithuania in the 15th century would be part of the Polish Lithuanian
      Commonwealth. While I'm not as knowledgeable about Lithuania, my guess would be
      it wasn't much different from Poland in that, the royalty married into sometimes
      Western European sometimes Byzantine Royal families. And those consorts brought
      their styles with them.

      The article on the Mary of Hapsburg dress does explain this. So keep in mind, if
      a dress is from royalty and even some of the nobles, it probably has a very
      strong western influence.

      The women of the magistrate class (town burgher and mayor's wives and daughters)
      were the wannabe's of that era. They wanted to be like the Western Europeans and
      emulated their style of dressing.

      Finding a style of clothing that is uniquely Lithuanian (or Polish) is a little
      harder. Even Barbara Radziwill, the wife of King Sigismund in the 16th
      century,the daughter of a powerful Lithuanian family, is shown in very Western
      dress. What makes Central/Eastern European dress unique is
      the details.

      I can send you some scans of headdresses of Barbara that are pearl encrusted and
      enclose all but her face. They must weigh a ton and be hot to wear.

      Typically in our area of interest, lower nobles and "county folk" held on to the
      traditional dress of their area either out of need or patriotism.

      So, to make a long story long, it depends on what you are looking for as far as
      garb. If I can help you, give me a shout. We don't live that far from each other
      and I'll be seeing you in Oct.

      In Service,
      Magdalena