      From: panimagdalena56 <nunother56@...>
      Subject: [sig] Re: confused
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, August 14, 2009, 7:14 AM

      Hi Raven. I have been following your posts about 15th century Lithuanian women's clothing. If anyone has the pictures from the class at Pennsic I would very much like to see them. Maybe someone could set them up in a folder for us?

      Lithuania in the 15th century would be part of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth. While I'm not as knowledgeable about Lithuania, my guess would be it wasn't much different from Poland in that, the royalty married into sometimes Western European sometimes Byzantine Royal families. And those consorts brought their styles with them.

      The article on the Mary of Hapsburg dress does explain this. So keep in mind, if a dress is from royalty and even some of the nobles, it probably has a very strong western influence.

      The women of the magistrate class (town burgher and mayor's wives and daughters) were the wannabe's of that era. They wanted to be like the Western Europeans and emulated their style of dressing.

      Finding a style of clothing that is uniquely Lithuanian (or Polish) is a little harder. Even Barbara Radziwill, the wife of King Sigismund in the 16th century,the daughter of a powerful Lithuanian family, is shown in very Western dress. What makes Central/Eastern European dress unique is the details.

      I can send you some scans of headdresses of Barbara that are pearl encrusted and enclose all but her face. They must weigh a ton and be hot to wear.

      Typically in our area of interest, lower nobles and "county folk" held on to the traditional dress of their area either out of need or patriotism.

      So, to make a long story long, it depends on what you are looking for as far as garb. If I can help you, give me a shout. We don't live that far from each other and I'll be seeing you in Oct.

      In Service,
      Magdalena