12624Re: An interesting image...

  • junediamanti
    Oct 11, 2007
      Long time lurker answering here, hope I'm correctly on topic, if not,
      will accept appropriate modding with due humility...

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

      Footwraps and rhubakha shirts
      > were still standard issue in the Russian army until
      > the early 1950s!

      In a BBC documentary of the 1980s about life in Russia one episode
      showed rookie soldiers getting footwrappings as standard issue socks.
      And looking appalled, and confused.

      > But the picture is great, and as usual, its just
      > the formal last note of a very long dance that his
      > father had orchestrated and played starting 5-10 years
      > before. Mikhial's father was a major mover and shaker
      > in kicking the Poles out of Russia during the Time of
      > Troubles and had built up alot of political clout in
      > the process. But his noble equals weren't about to
      > bend knee to someone they felt was more of an equal
      > tan anything, but they still needed a titular head to
      > cite when they banged the Realm back into shape from
      > the tatters it was in.
      > So, they compromised and made his 16 year old son,
      > Mikhial, Tsar to avoid political manuering and
      > potential Time of Troubles II. He was very intelligent
      > and very religious and not very outspoken, so not
      > threatening to their own individual powerbases. His
      > father was placated by becoming Metropolitan so he had
      > his clout, but not direct power, and he advised his
      > son politically and kept a hand on him, just in case
      > it went to his head! A very pragmatic, very Russian
      > solution to a potential political crisis and civil
      > war.

      I'm currently in the midst of some heavy research about this period
      (and thus feel confident to chime in). Mikhail's father was Fedor
      Nikitich Romanov. Fedor was the nearest male relative to the extinct
      Riurikovich dynasty through two lines of descent: by marriage, via
      their ancestress, Anastasia Romanovna Iur'eva Zakharina, the first
      wife of Ivan IV, and also as the last connection of the Shuisky clan,
      who were also of Riurikovich descent.

      Boris Godunov saw the threat of Fedor Nikitich as a rival and had him
      forcibly tonsured as a monk, Filaret. Ditto his wife, who became the
      nun, Marfa. Forced taking of orders was a time-honoured method of
      neutralising people you were squeamish about murdering, because it was
      mandatory you could not rule if you took holy orders. For example, if
      Vasily III had recovered from his final illness, during which he
      begged to take holy orders, he'd not have been able to rule.

      Boris would have been reluctant to aggravate already testy boyar clan
      loyalties, which had been fractured considerably by the policies of
      Ivan IV. Hence his reluctance to just do away with Fedor Nikitich.

      In any case, after Boris died, and during the Time of Troubles,
      Filaret was held captive by the Poles for some time, but was elected
      Patriarch in his absence and duly returned to be de facto ruler of
      Russia for much of his (less forcible) son's reign.

      I joined here, more for costume expertise, btw, and will further
      comment: I find your collective and separate erudition truly amazing!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic